Maximizing Space in an Isosceles Trapezoid Inside an Ellipse

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the maximal space of an isosceles trapeze inside an ellipse. The method involves finding the two x-values that correspond to a given y-value, which can then be used to determine the length of the smaller base. The area of the trapeze can then be written as a function of y and maximized to find the maximal space, which is equal to 3^0.5(a*b). The conversation also mentions using integrals and the formula of the trapeze function, but these methods were not successful.
transgalactic
i added a photo of the situation

inside an ellipse (its formula x^2 /a^2 + y^2 /b^2 =1)
we block an isosceles trapeze .
the large base of the trapeze is on the X axes.

show that the maximal space of the trapeze is 3^0.5( a*b)?

i tried to get the field of the trapeze by signing the height by X

but if i connect it to the ellipse formula for as x-b

i need another variable for the small base of the trapeze.

how can i solve it?

i tried by integrals but i don't know the formula of the trapeze fonction

what to do?
how do i prove that the maximal space of the trapeze is 3^0.5( a*b)?

please help

Attachments

• 2.GIF
    2.GIF
    1.7 KB · Views: 379
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the height is perpendicular to the x-axis, call it y instead!

What two x-values correspond to y? Their difference is the length of the smaller base.

there is no x vaules that are connected to the length of
the small base

we can say that the length of the big base is 2a
but in order to find the little base or the height of the trapeze
there begins the problem
notice that the answer includes only the parameters of the
ellipse fuction??
please help

Did you read my first response? Your last post gives no indication that you have!

Solve
[tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}+ \frac{y^2}{b^2}= 1[/tex]
for x as a function of y. You will get two values of x. There difference is the length of the smaller base. With that you can write the area of the trapezoid as a function of y and then maximize that function.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank u very much

1. What is a maximal field question?

A maximal field question refers to a question that covers the maximum amount of information or knowledge about a specific topic or subject matter. It is a comprehensive question that aims to gather as much data as possible.

2. How do you formulate a maximal field question?

To formulate a maximal field question, you need to identify the main topic or concept you want to explore. Then, brainstorm and list down all the possible subtopics or aspects related to the main topic. Finally, combine these subtopics into a single, comprehensive question.

3. What are the benefits of asking maximal field questions?

Asking maximal field questions allows for a more thorough understanding of a topic or issue. It can also help identify knowledge gaps and generate new ideas for further research or exploration. Additionally, it promotes critical thinking and encourages a holistic view of a subject matter.

4. Are there any limitations to using maximal field questions?

One limitation of using maximal field questions is that they can be time-consuming and require a lot of effort to formulate. Additionally, they may not be suitable for all types of research or discussions, as some topics may require a more focused and specific approach.

5. How can maximal field questions be used in scientific research?

Maximal field questions can be used in scientific research as a tool to gather extensive and in-depth data on a particular subject or phenomenon. They can also be used to guide the direction of research and uncover new insights and perspectives. Moreover, they can be used to generate hypotheses and formulate research questions for future studies.