1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximal solution to ODE

1. Mar 11, 2010 #1
    Note: this has been edited to fix a typo.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is to find the maximum solution on all of R of the differential equation dy/dt = t * y^(1/3) subject to the initial-value conditoin y(1) = -1.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This equation is not subject to the conclusion of Picard's standard existence and uniqueness theorem since t * y^(1/3) is not Lipschitz in the y variable. But the existence of a solution is guaranteed by Peano's theorem. Further, it's proved in the theory of ODEs that there will be a maximum solution--a solution that is greater than or equal to all others at all points.

By separation of variables it's easy to find a particular solution and then use the initial condition to find the value of the constant that emerges in the process. But as for finding the maximum solution I don't know where to begin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Don't you mean dy/dt = y*t^(1/3)?

4. Mar 12, 2010 #3
    Oh my, this was a bad typo. I meant dy/dt = t * y^(1/3) !

5. Mar 12, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I found the solution, using separation. The graph looks something like two parabolas, one opening up, and one opening down. The one opening down goes through (1, -1). Being that this is the only solution that satisfies the initial condition and the differential equation, seems like it would also be the maximal solution. The other solution (the upward-opening parabola-like curve) is such that all of its y values are greater than those on the solution represented by the downward-opening parabola-like curve, but it doesn't pass through (1, -1).

6. Mar 12, 2010 #5
    Actually, I've realized I am somehow not solving it right, and your post verifies this since I got a different scenario.

Am I missing something here?

After separating variables and integrating one finds (3/2) * y^(2/3) = t^2/2 + const. But imposing the initial condition forces the constant to be complex as far as I can tell.

7. Mar 12, 2010 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yeah, that confused me as well. You might have noted your equation will satisfy the initial condition if the constant is equal to 2/3. If you solve for y2, you get

[tex]y^2 = \left(\frac{t^2}{3}+\frac{2}{3}\right)^3[/tex]

The solution you want is the negative root of that equation.

8. Mar 12, 2010 #7
    You are correct indeed.

Thanks very much to both of you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook