Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximal supergravity

1. Jul 13, 2009 #1
    Provided that no particles have spins higher than 2, maximal supergravities are defined to be with supergravities with 32 supersymmetries.
    Why is the N=8 supergravity in four dimensions called 'the maximal supergravity'? I am confused now....
    Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2009 #2
    Not an expert, but from what I've been told the N>8 supergravity theories always contain particles with spin > 2. And these are not well-defined.

4. Jul 14, 2009 #3
    Thanks for your reply. However, I am not sure whether it's right.
    Another answer, which may be wrong, is that in four dimensions the spinors are 4-dimensional, then one could obtain 4*8=32 for the N=8 case.
    But what does it mean, and why Is it in accordance with the 32 real supercharges?

5. Jul 15, 2009 #4

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Is there a list of SUGRA theories (in terms of N and D) from which the following information follows
    - particle content
    - chiral structure
    - able to reproduce the standard model (gauge fields, fermion generations, higgs)
    - finiteness (I think there are no rigorous proofs but ongoing research programs)
    - low-energy limit of some string theory

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  6. Aug 22, 2009 #5

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

I simply ask the same questions a second time - hope somebody will read and provide answers - thanks :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook