N=8 Supergravity: Maximal Supergravity Explained

In summary, maximal supergravities are defined as supergravities with 32 supersymmetries and no particles with spins higher than 2. This is why the N=8 supergravity in four dimensions is referred to as the "maximal" supergravity. However, there is still ongoing research and discussion about the specific properties and limitations of different SUGRA theories, such as particle content, chiral structure, ability to reproduce the standard model, and low-energy limit of string theory.
isospin
Provided that no particles have spins higher than 2, maximal supergravities are defined to be with supergravities with 32 supersymmetries.
Why is the N=8 supergravity in four dimensions called 'the maximal supergravity'? I am confused now...
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not an expert, but from what I've been told the N>8 supergravity theories always contain particles with spin > 2. And these are not well-defined.

Thanks for your reply. However, I am not sure whether it's right.
Another answer, which may be wrong, is that in four dimensions the spinors are 4-dimensional, then one could obtain 4*8=32 for the N=8 case.
But what does it mean, and why Is it in accordance with the 32 real supercharges?
xepma said:
Not an expert, but from what I've been told the N>8 supergravity theories always contain particles with spin > 2. And these are not well-defined.

Is there a list of SUGRA theories (in terms of N and D) from which the following information follows
- particle content
- chiral structure
- able to reproduce the standard model (gauge fields, fermion generations, higgs)
- finiteness (I think there are no rigorous proofs but ongoing research programs)
- low-energy limit of some string theory

Last edited:
I simply ask the same questions a second time - hope somebody will read and provide answers - thanks :-)

tom.stoer said:
Is there a list of SUGRA theories (in terms of N and D) from which the following information follows
- particle content
- chiral structure
- able to reproduce the standard model (gauge fields, fermion generations, higgs)
- finiteness (I think there are no rigorous proofs but ongoing research programs)
- low-energy limit of some string theory

1. What is N=8 Supergravity?

N=8 Supergravity is a type of supersymmetric theory that describes the interactions between particles and fields in a specific mathematical framework. It is a theoretical framework that aims to unify the theories of General Relativity and Quantum Field Theory.

2. What does "Maximal Supergravity" mean?

"Maximal Supergravity" refers to the maximum number of supersymmetry charges that can exist in a given theory. In N=8 Supergravity, there are 8 supersymmetry charges, making it the most supersymmetric theory possible in 4 dimensions.

3. How does N=8 Supergravity relate to other theories?

N=8 Supergravity is a higher-dimensional extension of N=1 Supergravity, which is a supersymmetric version of General Relativity. It is also related to String Theory, as it is one of the theories that emerges from the low-energy limit of String Theory.

4. What are the main features of N=8 Supergravity?

The main features of N=8 Supergravity include its maximal supersymmetry, its ability to describe the interactions of gravity and matter, and its role in the search for a theory of everything. It also has a rich mathematical structure and has been shown to have connections to other areas of physics, such as black hole thermodynamics.

5. What are the current developments and challenges in studying N=8 Supergravity?

Some current developments in studying N=8 Supergravity include finding new solutions, such as black hole solutions, and exploring its connections to other areas of physics, such as holography and cosmology. One of the main challenges in studying N=8 Supergravity is its complexity, which makes it difficult to fully understand and solve. Additionally, there is still much to be discovered and understood about this theory, making it an active area of research in theoretical physics.