What is the maximal velocity of atoms with at least one electron?

In summary, the conversation discusses the maximum velocity reached by atoms with at least one electron, whether on Earth or in astronomical sources. The mention of beam injection linacs at CERN and Fermilab suggests that the highest achieved velocity is around 0.7 times the speed of light. The conversation also delves into the possibility of faster ions and the effect of losing electrons on the velocity of an atom.
new_r
Hello,
I am looking what maximal velocity was reached for some atoms
which have at least 1 electron.
It can be ionized atoms, but still must have at least one electron.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Very close to the speed of light, but I don't know how close.

Gordianus said:
Very close to the speed of light, but I don't know how close.

Thank you for your answer and sorry for my English.
But I still doubt it was ever exceeded 0.1 - 0.5 c.
Maybe I am wrong. Could you support with some sources?
Thank you.

Last edited:
It would first help to know if you are looking for a velocity achieved here on Earth or if astronomical sources count.

I don't know if they are the fastest ions on earth, but beam injection linacs at CERN or Fermilab routinely use beams of negative hydrogen ions in the hundreds of MeV range before stripping all the electrons off for acceleration to High Energy. (see e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tevatron) That only corresponds to a gamma of about 1.5, or about 0.7 times the speed of light. It's quite possible that someone has run an experiment with faster ions, I just don't know of one off the top of my head.

krysith said:
It would first help to know if you are looking for a velocity achieved here on Earth or if astronomical sources count.

Yes, on Earth. But if you have astronomical data it would be interesting also.
Thank you

krysith said:
beam injection linacs at CERN or Fermilab routinely use beams of negative hydrogen ions in the hundreds of MeV range before stripping all the electrons off for acceleration to High Energy.

I forget to ask about why atoms lost electrons?

I don't think the number of electron would effect the velocity of atom. Did you mean this way?

Any way, high energy "atoms" were observed on earth. Also, the only cosmic moving atoms were known to be alpha rays.(we can accelrt our atom far more faster than cosmic alpha ray :D)

Black Integra said:
I don't think the number of electron would effect the velocity of atom. Did you mean this way?

No, but if we have only 0.7c atoms with at least one electron
must be some mechanism/reason why or how they lost electrons for future acceleration?

1. What is maximal velocity of atoms?

The maximal velocity of atoms refers to the maximum speed that an atom can reach under specific conditions. This velocity depends on various factors such as temperature, pressure, and atomic structure.

2. How is maximal velocity of atoms measured?

The maximal velocity of atoms is typically measured using specialized instruments such as a mass spectrometer or a laser Doppler velocimeter. These instruments can accurately measure the speed of atoms by analyzing their movement and energy levels.

3. What is the significance of maximal velocity of atoms?

The maximal velocity of atoms is essential in understanding the behavior and properties of matter. It helps scientists to study various phenomena such as diffusion, chemical reactions, and phase transitions. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as materials science, chemistry, and physics.

4. Can the maximal velocity of atoms be exceeded?

Yes, under certain conditions, the maximal velocity of atoms can be exceeded. This can happen in extreme environments such as in particle accelerators or in superheated gases. However, this is not a common occurrence in natural systems.

5. How does temperature affect the maximal velocity of atoms?

Temperature has a direct impact on the maximal velocity of atoms. As temperature increases, the atoms gain more kinetic energy, causing them to move faster. This results in an increase in the maximal velocity of atoms. However, at extremely high temperatures, the atoms can reach their maximum velocity and cannot go any faster.