Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximize nonlinear function

1. Oct 21, 2016 #1
    Hi to everyone,

I'm optimizing a nonlinear function but I'm struggling to achieve it. The function is the following:
    eq.PNG

X and i are relationed so i doesn't go to infinite. Do you have any idea how to maximize this function?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2016 #2

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean by "related"? i is a summation index, not a free variable. The starting value is missing.

The sum has an explicit formula, this should be easy to simplify.

4. Oct 21, 2016 #3

Mark44

What does this mean? Your summation appears to be from i = <something> to ##\infty##.
    The summation in the formula for F(x) is unclear. Is this what you have in mind for the summation?
    $$\sum_{i = 0}^{\infty}e^{-i(x + 2)}$$

5. Oct 21, 2016 #4
    Yes, it is from i to ∞, but if I want to optimize it I guess that I will have to set a bound.
    And yes, the summation corresponds to what you have posted. Let's say that i is related to x as follows: i=T/x, T is a time. Therefore, x determines i.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2016
  6. Oct 21, 2016 #5

mathman

Science Advisor

How can the summation index (i) start at i?

7. Oct 21, 2016 #6

Mark44

This makes no sense -- "from i to ∞". i is merely the index. You have to give a starting value, such as 0 or 1 or whatever, and an ending value, such as 10 or N or ∞.
    This also makes no sense. x is presumably a real number, and a summation index is usually an integer.

The summation that I wrote can be expanded like so:
    ##1 + e^{-(x + 2)} + e^{-2(x + 2)} + e^{-3(x + 2)} + \dots##

It's not at all clear to me or the other people replying in this thread what you're trying to do.

8. Oct 21, 2016 #7
    Apologies, I wanted to say that it goes from i=1 to inifinite. I will reformulate my question so you can understand it better.
    I want to maximize this function:

Sin título.jpg
    And x is related to i as follows; i=T/x, where T is a constant. Due to the nature of the problem, i is an integer.

Thanks for your patience.

Eric

9. Oct 22, 2016 #8

Mark44

This still doesn't make sense. i is an index of the summation, and x occurs outside the summation (as well as being part of the things being summed).
    i takes on an infinite number of values: 1, 2, 3, ... in the summation, but the x that multiplies the summation can't change with the change in index values.

Based on what you said, you can write the summation as ##\sum_{i = 1}^{\infty}e^{-i(T/i + 2)}##, but you can't replace either x outside the summation by T/i.

It seems that you're trying to come up with a formula for a function that involves a summation, without understanding how a summation works.

10. Oct 22, 2016 #9
    If we forget about the relationship between i and T, how would you optimize it?

11. Oct 22, 2016 #10

Ssnow

Gold Member

Your question is related to find the max of this function "in general" or with constraints ?
    I don't understand well how this function is defined, ##i## is the integer index in the sum but what about ##x##?, is real or integer? Has this function a domain?
    If it is a real function try with the derivative...

Ssnow

12. Oct 22, 2016 #11

mfb

2017 Award

If that is your function, it is identical to (just a different notation)
    $$F(x)=\frac{1}{x+x \left( e^{-1(x+2)} + e^{-2(x+2)} + e^{-3(x+2)} + ... \right)}$$
    You see how i disappears just by rewriting it? i cannot depend on anything.

You can use$$\sum_{i=1}^\infty e^{-i(x+2)} = \sum_{i=1}^\infty \left(e^{-(x+2)}\right)^i$$
    The sum on the right (a sum over qi for some q) can be evaluated with a well-known formula.

Afterwards, you can use that a maximum of your function (which does not occur at 0) is a minimum of the inverse, 1/F(x). From there it should not be hard to look for minima.

13. Oct 22, 2016 #12
    Hi Ssnow,

x is a real, i'm working on a domain and i do not have any constrains more.

14. Oct 22, 2016 #13

Ssnow

Gold Member

Hi, ok thanks for the clarification, I suggest you to follow the suggestions of @mfb.

15. Oct 22, 2016 #14
    Thanks for your advice, so far the best I've received.

Can I use this formula?
    Sin título.png

By the way, how do you introduce formulas in this forum?

16. Oct 22, 2016 #15

mfb

2017 Award

You can use this formula, to take the limit n->infinity you have to check if z is in the correct range for that.

You can use LaTeX for formulas. The quote in your post has two examples.

17. Oct 22, 2016 #16
    In this formula, the summaton begins at i=0, while in my case it's i=1. How can I solve that?

Thanks

18. Oct 22, 2016 #17

mfb

2017 Award

You can replace i by i+1 everywhere (!) in your expression, then simplify.

There is a German Wikipedia article about - no English version, but the formulas are international.

19. Oct 22, 2016 #18
    In fact, my function is this one:

Sin título.png

I posted a simplified one before, can I still express this one with a well-known formula?

Thanks

20. Oct 23, 2016 #19

mfb

2017 Award

No.

Where was the point of the other function if that is not what you actually want to solve?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted