How to Maximize a Nonlinear Function with Limited Variables?

In summary, Eric is trying to optimize a nonlinear function but he is not understanding how a summation works. He is trying to come up with a formula for the function without understanding how a summation works. After rewriting the summation, he is able to use a well-known formula to find a maximum.
ericdavid
Hi to everyone,

I'm optimizing a nonlinear function but I'm struggling to achieve it. The function is the following:
eq.PNG

X and i are relationed so i doesn't go to infinite. Do you have any idea how to maximize this function?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "related"? i is a summation index, not a free variable. The starting value is missing.

The sum has an explicit formula, this should be easy to simplify.

ericdavid said:
Hi to everyone,

I'm optimizing a nonlinear function but I'm struggling to achieve it. The function is the following:
View attachment 107800

X and i are relationed so i doesn't go to infinite.
What does this mean? Your summation appears to be from i = <something> to ##\infty##.
ericdavid said:
Do you have any idea how to maximize this function?
The summation in the formula for F(x) is unclear. Is this what you have in mind for the summation?
$$\sum_{i = 0}^{\infty}e^{-i(x + 2)}$$

Yes, it is from i to ∞, but if I want to optimize it I guess that I will have to set a bound.
And yes, the summation corresponds to what you have posted. Let's say that i is related to x as follows: i=T/x, T is a time. Therefore, x determines i.

Last edited by a moderator:
How can the summation index (i) start at i?

ericdavid said:
Yes, it is from i to ∞,
This makes no sense -- "from i to ∞". i is merely the index. You have to give a starting value, such as 0 or 1 or whatever, and an ending value, such as 10 or N or ∞.
ericdavid said:
but if I want to optimize it I guess that I will have to set a bound.
And yes, the summation corresponds to what you have posted. Let's say that i is related to x as follows: i=T/x, T is a time. Therefore, x determines i.
This also makes no sense. x is presumably a real number, and a summation index is usually an integer.

The summation that I wrote can be expanded like so:
##1 + e^{-(x + 2)} + e^{-2(x + 2)} + e^{-3(x + 2)} + \dots##

It's not at all clear to me or the other people replying in this thread what you're trying to do.

Apologies, I wanted to say that it goes from i=1 to inifinite. I will reformulate my question so you can understand it better.
I want to maximize this function:

Sin título.jpg

And x is related to i as follows; i=T/x, where T is a constant. Due to the nature of the problem, i is an integer.

Thanks for your patience.

Eric

ericdavid said:
And x is related to i as follows; i=T/x, where T is a constant.
This still doesn't make sense. i is an index of the summation, and x occurs outside the summation (as well as being part of the things being summed).
i takes on an infinite number of values: 1, 2, 3, ... in the summation, but the x that multiplies the summation can't change with the change in index values.

Based on what you said, you can write the summation as ##\sum_{i = 1}^{\infty}e^{-i(T/i + 2)}##, but you can't replace either x outside the summation by T/i.

It seems that you're trying to come up with a formula for a function that involves a summation, without understanding how a summation works.

If we forget about the relationship between i and T, how would you optimize it?

ericdavid said:
I'm optimizing a nonlinear function

Your question is related to find the max of this function "in general" or with constraints ?
I don't understand well how this function is defined, ##i## is the integer index in the sum but what about ##x##?, is real or integer? Has this function a domain?
If it is a real function try with the derivative...

Ssnow

ericdavid said:
If that is your function, it is identical to (just a different notation)
$$F(x)=\frac{1}{x+x \left( e^{-1(x+2)} + e^{-2(x+2)} + e^{-3(x+2)} + ... \right)}$$
You see how i disappears just by rewriting it? i cannot depend on anything.

You can use$$\sum_{i=1}^\infty e^{-i(x+2)} = \sum_{i=1}^\infty \left(e^{-(x+2)}\right)^i$$
The sum on the right (a sum over qi for some q) can be evaluated with a well-known formula.

Afterwards, you can use that a maximum of your function (which does not occur at 0) is a minimum of the inverse, 1/F(x). From there it should not be hard to look for minima.

Likes ericdavid
Ssnow said:
Your question is related to find the max of this function "in general" or with constraints ?
I don't understand well how this function is defined, ##i## is the integer index in the sum but what about ##x##?, is real or integer? Has this function a domain?
If it is a real function try with the derivative...

Ssnow
Hi Ssnow,

x is a real, I'm working on a domain and i do not have any constrains more.

Hi, ok thanks for the clarification, I suggest you to follow the suggestions of @mfb.

mfb said:
If that is your function, it is identical to (just a different notation)
$$F(x)=\frac{1}{x+x \left( e^{-1(x+2)} + e^{-2(x+2)} + e^{-3(x+2)} + ... \right)}$$
You see how i disappears just by rewriting it? i cannot depend on anything.

You can use$$\sum_{i=1}^\infty e^{-i(x+2)} = \sum_{i=1}^\infty \left(e^{-(x+2)}\right)^i$$
The sum on the right (a sum over qi for some q) can be evaluated with a well-known formula.

Afterwards, you can use that a maximum of your function (which does not occur at 0) is a minimum of the inverse, 1/F(x). From there it should not be hard to look for minima.
Thanks for your advice, so far the best I've received.

Can I use this formula?
Sin título.png

By the way, how do you introduce formulas in this forum?

You can use this formula, to take the limit n->infinity you have to check if z is in the correct range for that.

You can use LaTeX for formulas. The quote in your post has two examples.

Likes ericdavid
In this formula, the summaton begins at i=0, while in my case it's i=1. How can I solve that?

Thanks

You can replace i by i+1 everywhere (!) in your expression, then simplify.

There is a German Wikipedia article about - no English version, but the formulas are international.

Likes ericdavid
In fact, my function is this one:

Sin título.png

I posted a simplified one before, can I still express this one with a well-known formula?

Thanks

No.

Where was the point of the other function if that is not what you actually want to solve?

1. What is a nonlinear function?

A nonlinear function is a mathematical expression that does not have a constant rate of change. This means that the output of the function does not vary proportionally with the input, unlike a linear function.

2. How do you maximize a nonlinear function?

To maximize a nonlinear function, you need to find the highest possible value of the function. This can be done by finding the critical points of the function, which are the points where the derivative is equal to zero. Then, you can use the first or second derivative test to determine if these points are maxima or minima.

3. What is the difference between maximizing a linear and a nonlinear function?

The main difference is that a linear function has a constant rate of change, so maximizing it involves finding the highest or lowest point on a straight line. On the other hand, maximizing a nonlinear function involves finding the highest or lowest point on a curve, which requires a more complex approach.

4. Why is it important to maximize a nonlinear function?

Maximizing a nonlinear function is important in various fields of science and engineering, as it helps to optimize processes and improve efficiency. For example, in economics, maximizing a production function can help a company determine the most profitable level of production. In physics, maximizing a potential energy function can help find the most stable state of a system.

5. What are some common techniques used to maximize a nonlinear function?

Some common techniques include using calculus to find critical points and the first or second derivative test to determine if they are maxima or minima. Other techniques include graphing the function and using trial and error to find the maximum value, as well as using optimization algorithms such as gradient descent.