1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximize the area

1. Mar 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A total of x feet of fencing is to form 3 sides of a level rectangular yard. What is the maximum possible area of the yard, in terms of x?

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far I have 2 sides of the yard is denoted by y, and one side is denoted by z.
    Then, 2y+z=x
    We want to maximize the Area=yz

Now, do I substitute one of the variables in the Area equation to get the answer? Then I know I need to differentiate, but with respect to what? I'm confused here.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You're on the right track. A=yz=y(substitute what for z?)

Then you will have an equation for A in terms of y (the variable) and x (the constant). Since you can vary y to vary the area A, you will differentiate A with respect to y, and then do what to find the value of y that gives you maximum A?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  4. Mar 26, 2009 #3
    Ok, so I have
    A=yz=y(x-2y)=xy-2y^2
    A'=y-4y

We want to find the critical points so set A'=0
    A'=y-4y=0
    y=4y

...that doesn't make sense...?

5. Mar 26, 2009 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Your calculation of A' in the 2nd equation has one incorrect term in it. Remember what you are differentiating with respect to.

[tex]\frac{d}{dy} (xy - 2y^2) = ?[/tex]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook