Maximizing Area of a Pentagon with Fixed Perimeter

• Thread starter Nabeshin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, a maximization problem was presented where a pentagon is composed of a rectangle topped by an isosceles triangle and the perimeter is fixed. The maximum possible area for this pentagon was found to be A=xy+\frac{1}{4\sqrt{3}}y^2, with the sides being P(2-sqrt(3)), P(3-sqrt(3))/6, and P((2sqrt(3))-3)/3. The angle of the pitch of the roof was also determined to be exactly 30 degrees.
Nabeshin
Science Advisor
I was reviewing some multivariable calculus when I came across an interesting maximization problem. The problem is this:

Suppose that a pentagon is composed of a rectangle topped by an isosceles triangle. If the length of the perimeter is fixed, find the maximum possible area. (For picture, see: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/deagleman9/pentagon.jpg )

I thought it was a fun problem and hopefully some of you will agree. As for the answer, I'm not terribly confident but I got:
[tex]A=xy+\frac{1}{4\sqrt{3}}y^2[/tex]

Can anyone confirm that?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The area of the largest such pentagon with perimeter P should depend only on P, not x and y.

I brute forced it with lagrange multipliers and got as follows:
-Fixed area A
-Base width x
-Height of rectangle y
-Height of triangle z

[tex]x=2 \sqrt{(2-\sqrt{3})A}[/tex]

[tex]y=\frac{\sqrt{2 A}(3-\sqrt{3})}{3 (\sqrt{3}-1)}[/tex]

[tex]z=\sqrt{\frac{2-\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{3}}A}[/tex]

This looks almost identical a review problem in stewart.. 14.65

there's 3 different lengthed sides. the sides are

P(2-sqrt(3))
P(3-sqrt(3))/6
P((2sqrt(3))-3)/3

I imagine you can just plug those in and solve for A.

Now I must say that this is from a solution manual and I don't know how they got it... but the preceding chapter was gradient & partial derivatives so I expect you were supposed to write A in terms of x and y and then figure out the partials wrt x and y, set them both to zero, and disregard the trivial solution (if there is one). That gives you a system of two equations with two unknowns x & y, and its not a multivariable calculus problem anymore. Also it looks like that third side is just going to be (P-2x-2y)/2, so once you have x and y you have them all.

maze said:
I brute forced it with lagrange multipliers and got as follows:
-Fixed area A
-Base width x
-Height of rectangle y
-Height of triangle z

[tex]x=2 \sqrt{(2-\sqrt{3})A}[/tex]

[tex]y=\frac{\sqrt{2 A}(3-\sqrt{3})}{3 (\sqrt{3}-1)}[/tex]

[tex]z=\sqrt{\frac{2-\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{3}}A}[/tex]
The problem was to maximize area for fixed perimeter.

HallsofIvy said:
The problem was to maximize area for fixed perimeter.

Yes, strictly speaking mazes solution doesn't directly answer the question. But in a way it does because the geometry of the obtained pentagon is the same in either case (max area for fixed perimeter or min perimeter for a fixed area).

Maze. A bit easier than Lagrange multipliers is to just rearrange the equation for constant area to express y in terms of x and z. Substitute this to get perimeter as a function of x and z only and solve the two partial derivatives equal zero. (Two non-linear simultaneous equations are a lot easier to manage than four. :smile: ).

I really just focused on finding the angle of the pitch of the roof [ atan(2z/x) ] , since this nicely summarizes the geometry of the resulting pentagon. Interestingly it's exactly 30 degrees.

BTW. My use of x,y and z above are as per mazes definition (x and y interchanged relative to Nabehin’s original diagram).

Last edited:
Oh yeah. I forgot to find the ratio of x to y. That would be interesting too.

go_ducks said:
This looks almost identical a review problem in stewart.. 14.65

there's 3 different lengthed sides. the sides are

P(2-sqrt(3))
P(3-sqrt(3))/6
P((2sqrt(3))-3)/3

I imagine you can just plug those in and solve for A.

Yup, this is what I get if I put things in terms of P.
If I just put all that into the area formula I get,
[tex]A=P^2 (\frac{1}{2}-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4})\approx .06699P^2[/tex]

Also, yeah it was interesting that the angle is exactly pi/6 !

Interesting...

Any ideas why, intuitively, it ought to be 30 degrees?

1. How do I calculate the area of a pentagon?

The formula for calculating the area of a regular pentagon is A = (1/2) x P x ap, where A is the area, P is the perimeter, and ap is the apothem (the distance from the center of the pentagon to one of its sides).

2. What is the maximum possible area of a pentagon with a given perimeter?

The maximum possible area of a pentagon is achieved when it is a regular pentagon, meaning all sides and angles are equal. In this case, the area can be calculated using the formula A = (1/4) x s^2 x √(25 + 10√5), where s is the length of one side.

3. How can I increase the area of a pentagon with a fixed perimeter?

To increase the area of a pentagon with a fixed perimeter, you can increase the length of one or more of its sides. However, keep in mind that this will also increase the perimeter and potentially make it more difficult to create a regular pentagon.

4. Are there any other ways to maximize the area of a pentagon?

Yes, there are other ways to maximize the area of a pentagon. For example, you can vary the angle between the sides to create an irregular pentagon with a larger area. However, this may be more difficult to calculate and construct.

5. How can I apply this concept to real-world situations?

The concept of maximizing the area of a pentagon can be applied in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and mathematics. For example, in architecture, architects may use this knowledge to design buildings with the largest possible floor area given a fixed perimeter. In engineering, this concept may be used to optimize the design of a pentagon-shaped component for maximum efficiency.