Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximize this pentagon's area

1. Jun 3, 2009 #1

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

I was reviewing some multivariable calculus when I came across an interesting maximization problem. The problem is this:

Suppose that a pentagon is composed of a rectangle topped by an isosceles triangle. If the length of the perimeter is fixed, find the maximum possible area. (For picture, see: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/deagleman9/pentagon.jpg )

I thought it was a fun problem and hopefully some of you will agree. As for the answer, I'm not terribly confident but I got:
    [tex]A=xy+\frac{1}{4\sqrt{3}}y^2[/tex]

Can anyone confirm that?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The area of the largest such pentagon with perimeter P should depend only on P, not x and y.

4. Jun 3, 2009 #3
    I brute forced it with lagrange multipliers and got as follows:
    -Fixed area A
    -Base width x
    -Height of rectangle y
    -Height of triangle z

[tex]x=2 \sqrt{(2-\sqrt{3})A}[/tex]

[tex]y=\frac{\sqrt{2 A}(3-\sqrt{3})}{3 (\sqrt{3}-1)}[/tex]

[tex]z=\sqrt{\frac{2-\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{3}}A}[/tex]

5. Jun 3, 2009 #4
    This looks almost identical a review problem in stewart.. 14.65

there's 3 different lengthed sides. the sides are

P(2-sqrt(3))
    P(3-sqrt(3))/6
    P((2sqrt(3))-3)/3

I imagine you can just plug those in and solve for A.

Now I must say that this is from a solution manual and I dont know how they got it... but the preceding chapter was gradient & partial derivatives so I expect you were supposed to write A in terms of x and y and then figure out the partials wrt x and y, set them both to zero, and disregard the trivial solution (if there is one). That gives you a system of two equations with two unknowns x & y, and its not a multivariable calculus problem anymore. Also it looks like that third side is just going to be (P-2x-2y)/2, so once you have x and y you have them all.

6. Jun 3, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The problem was to maximize area for fixed perimeter.

7. Jun 3, 2009 #6

uart

Science Advisor

Yes, strictly speaking mazes solution doesn't directly answer the question. But in a way it does because the geometry of the obtained pentagon is the same in either case (max area for fixed perimeter or min perimeter for a fixed area).

Maze. A bit easier than Lagrange multipliers is to just rearrange the equation for constant area to express y in terms of x and z. Substitute this to get perimeter as a function of x and z only and solve the two partial derivatives equal zero. (Two non-linear simultaneous equations are a lot easier to manage than four. :smile: ).

I really just focused on finding the angle of the pitch of the roof [ atan(2z/x) ] , since this nicely summarizes the geometry of the resulting pentagon. Interestingly it's exactly 30 degrees.

BTW. My use of x,y and z above are as per mazes definition (x and y interchanged relative to Nabehin’s original diagram).

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  8. Jun 3, 2009 #7

uart

Science Advisor

Oh yeah. I forgot to find the ratio of x to y. That would be interesting too.

9. Jun 3, 2009 #8

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Yup, this is what I get if I put things in terms of P.
    If I just put all that into the area formula I get,
    [tex]A=P^2 (\frac{1}{2}-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4})\approx .06699P^2[/tex]

Also, yeah it was interesting that the angle is exactly pi/6 !

10. Jun 3, 2009 #9
    Interesting...

Any ideas why, intuitively, it ought to be 30 degrees?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook