Discovering the Maximum Value of a Quadratic Equation

• Thread starter 3.141592654
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quadratic
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum value for the function f(X)=6X-1/2X^2+82 by rearranging the function to the form f(X)=100-1/2(X-6)^2 and using the method of completing the square. The conversation also touches on the concept of the axis of symmetry for a parabola and how it relates to finding the maximum value for a quadratic function.

Homework Statement

Maximizing the function f(X)=6X-1/2X^2+82. That's it, so 6X-1/2X^2+82 = 82-1/2(X^2-12X) = 82-1/2(X-6)^2+18. So f(X)=100-1/2(X-6)^2. Since (X-6)^2 is positive for any X not =6, than the max is x=6. The part I don't understand is when rearranging the function, how do you get from -1/2(X^2-12X) to -1/2(X-6)^2+18?

Homework Equations

The focus of the problem assumes my question is already common knowledge, so I don't think there are any relevant equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure what to do, at first I worked backwards trying to expand (x-6)^2+18, which is X^2-12X+54, but I'm at a dead end. This isn't actually for a class, but thanks for your help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Expand [tex]-\frac{1}{2}(x-6)^{2} [/tex] and tell us how much smaller it is than [tex]-\frac{1}{2}(x^{2}-12x)[/tex]

:smile:

alright, so -1/2(X-6)^2 expanded =-1/2X^2+6X-18. 18 smaller than -1/2(X^2-12X). Very helpful, thank you. That answers my question, but this brings me to another question. If given -1/2(X^2-12X), is there a way to use calculation to find that it equals -1/2(X-6)^2+18? I guess what I am asking is how can I look at this function, -1/2(X^2-12X) and then determine that it is equal to -1/2(X-6)^2+18? Do you factor an x and expand or is there any way to do this? Thanks again!

This involves a method known as completing the square. Have you learned that?

3.141592654 said:
alright, so -1/2(X-6)^2 expanded =-1/2X^2+6X-18. 18 smaller than -1/2(X^2-12X). Very helpful, thank you. That answers my question, but this brings me to another question. If given -1/2(X^2-12X), is there a way to use calculation to find that it equals -1/2(X-6)^2+18? I guess what I am asking is how can I look at this function, -1/2(X^2-12X) and then determine that it is equal to -1/2(X-6)^2+18? Do you factor an x and expand or is there any way to do this? Thanks again!

It is known as completing the square
If I have some quadratic of the form say...ax^2 + bx + c then first I can factor out an a to get
[tex]a(x^{2} +\frac{b}{a}x + \frac{c}{a})[/tex]
Then I can add and subtract [tex] (\frac{b}{2a})^{2}[/tex] to get
[tex]a(x^{2} +\frac{b}{a}x + \frac{b^{2}}{4a^{2}} - \frac{b^{2}}{4a^{2}} + \frac{c}{a})[/tex]
Which can then be converted to
[tex] a((x +\frac{b}{2a})^{2}) + d)[/tex] where [tex] d = \frac{c}{a} - \frac{b^{2}}{4a^{2}}[/tex]
You can of course pull d out of the brackets where it would then be equal to [tex]c - \frac{b^{2}}{4a}[/tex]

Last edited:
Is it part of your knowledge that the axis of symetrry of a parabola of the form y= ax^2 + bx + c is the line x=-b/2a. They introduced that to us in Australia before applying Completing the square for maxima/minima. If you do, and say the parabola is concave down - where does the maximum value always occur?

What is a quadratic function?

A quadratic function is a polynomial function with a degree of 2. It can be written in the form of f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

What does it mean to maximize a quadratic function?

To maximize a quadratic function means to find the maximum value of the function. This can be done by finding the vertex of the parabola or by using the formula x = -b/2a, where a and b are the coefficients of x^2 and x, respectively.

Why is it important to maximize a quadratic function?

Maximizing a quadratic function is important in many real-life applications, such as maximizing profits in a business or finding the maximum height of a projectile. It also helps in solving optimization problems in various fields of science and engineering.

What are the steps to maximize a quadratic function?

The steps to maximize a quadratic function are: 1) Find the vertex of the parabola by using the formula x = -b/2a, 2) Substitute the x-value of the vertex into the function to find the maximum value, and 3) Check the concavity of the parabola to ensure that the maximum value is indeed the maximum.

Can a quadratic function have more than one maximum value?

No, a quadratic function can only have one maximum value. This is because the graph of a quadratic function is a parabola, which has only one vertex. However, a quadratic function can have more than one critical point, which are points where the slope of the graph is zero.