1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximizing a quadratic

1. Jun 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Maximizing the function f(X)=6X-1/2X^2+82. That's it, so 6X-1/2X^2+82 = 82-1/2(X^2-12X) = 82-1/2(X-6)^2+18. So f(X)=100-1/2(X-6)^2. Since (X-6)^2 is positive for any X not =6, than the max is x=6. The part I don't understand is when rearranging the function, how do you get from -1/2(X^2-12X) to -1/2(X-6)^2+18?

2. Relevant equations

The focus of the problem assumes my question is already common knowledge, so I don't think there are any relevant equations.

3. The attempt at a solution

Not sure what to do, at first I worked backwards trying to expand (x-6)^2+18, which is X^2-12X+54, but I'm at a dead end. This isn't actually for a class, but thanks for your help in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2008 #2
    Expand [tex]-\frac{1}{2}(x-6)^{2} [/tex] and tell us how much smaller it is than [tex]-\frac{1}{2}(x^{2}-12x)[/tex]

4. Jun 6, 2008 #3
    alright, so -1/2(X-6)^2 expanded =-1/2X^2+6X-18. 18 smaller than -1/2(X^2-12X). Very helpful, thank you. That answers my question, but this brings me to another question. If given -1/2(X^2-12X), is there a way to use calculation to find that it equals -1/2(X-6)^2+18? I guess what I am asking is how can I look at this function, -1/2(X^2-12X) and then determine that it is equal to -1/2(X-6)^2+18? Do you factor an x and expand or is there any way to do this? Thanks again!
  5. Jun 6, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

This involves a method known as completing the square. Have you learnt that?
  6. Jun 6, 2008 #5
    It is known as completing the square
    If I have some quadratic of the form say...ax^2 + bx + c then first I can factor out an a to get
    [tex]a(x^{2} +\frac{b}{a}x + \frac{c}{a})[/tex]
    Then I can add and subtract [tex] (\frac{b}{2a})^{2}[/tex] to get
    [tex]a(x^{2} +\frac{b}{a}x + \frac{b^{2}}{4a^{2}} - \frac{b^{2}}{4a^{2}} + \frac{c}{a})[/tex]
    Which can then be converted to
    [tex] a((x +\frac{b}{2a})^{2}) + d)[/tex] where [tex] d = \frac{c}{a} - \frac{b^{2}}{4a^{2}}[/tex]
    You can of course pull d out of the brackets where it would then be equal to [tex]c - \frac{b^{2}}{4a}[/tex]
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  7. Jun 8, 2008 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Is it part of your knowledge that the axis of symetrry of a parabola of the form y= ax^2 + bx + c is the line x=-b/2a. They introduced that to us in Australia before applying Completing the square for maxima/minima. If you do, and say the parabola is concave down - where does the maximum value always occur?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?