Maximizing a rectangle in R3

• Thread starter miltzi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rectangle
In summary: For example, yz= \lambda and xz= 2\lambda so that yz/xz= y/x= 1/2. That is, y= (1/2)x. Similarly xz= 2\lambda and xy= 3\lambda so that xz/xy= z/y= 2/3. That is, z= (2/3)y= (1/3)x. So we must have x+ 2y+ 3z= 6 equal to (1/3)x+ (4/3)x+ x= 2x= 6 so x= 3. Then y= (1/2)x= 3
miltzi

Homework Statement

I've been struggling to figure out how to do the following problem which I came across:

Find the volume of the largest rectangular box in the first octant with three faces
in the coordinate planes and one vertex in the plane x+2y+3z=6.
Show ALL of your workings.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Volume will=xyz, since each side is as long as the face in that plane. We need to maximize this.

So we need to maximize xyz in the domain x+2y+3z=6

I tried getting x, y, and z by themselves with respect to each other and then subbing into the equation V=xyz. Then I would differentiate and set this equal to 0 to find the max. I don't think this is the correct way of doing it as it took huge amounts of time and became impossible to deal with owing to its complexity. At the moment in multivariable calculus we are learning minima/maxima, line integrals, double integrals, greens theorem etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can ignore one parameter for a while (just assume that it is unknown and fixed) and find a relation between the other two first. This keeps the equations handy.

miltzi said:

Homework Statement

I've been struggling to figure out how to do the following problem which I came across:

Find the volume of the largest rectangular box in the first octant with three faces
in the coordinate planes and one vertex in the plane x+2y+3z=6.
Show ALL of your workings.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Volume will=xyz, since each side is as long as the face in that plane. We need to maximize this.

So we need to maximize xyz in the domain x+2y+3z=6

I tried getting x, y, and z by themselves with respect to each other and then subbing into the equation V=xyz. Then I would differentiate and set this equal to 0 to find the max. I don't think this is the correct way of doing it as it took huge amounts of time and became impossible to deal with owing to its complexity. At the moment in multivariable calculus we are learning minima/maxima, line integrals, double integrals, greens theorem etc.

What you say you did sounds easy, not complex as you claim.

You can express x in terms of y and z; then V = xyz becomes a function v(y,z) that is not particularly messy, and can fairly easily be optimized. Alternatively, you could solve for y in terms of x and z or solve for z in terms of x and y. Lastly, you could use the Lagrange multiplier method, but maybe you have not seen that yet.

Have you had "Lagrange multipliers"? The idea is to maximize (or minimize) some function f(x, y, z) with the condition that g(x,y,z)= constant. (Here f(x,y,z)= xyz, g(x,y,z)= x+ 2y+ 3z= 6)

If we wanted to maximize f without any conditions we could find [itex]\nabla f[/itex] at some point. That always points in the direction of fastest increase so we can get a larger value by moving in the direction of [itex]\nabla f[/itex]. And f will keep increasing until [itex]\nabla f[/itex] has no direction- that is, until [itex]\nabla f= 0[/itex] (which is, of course, the same as setting all partiall derivatives equal to 0).

But if we are constrained to stay on the surface g(x,y,z)= constant, we may not be able to move in the direction of [itex]\nabla f[/itex]. The best we can do is take the projection of [itex]\nabla f[/itex] on the surface and follow that. And we do that until there is no such projection: that is, until [itex]\nabla f[/tex] is perpendicular to the surface g(x,y,z)= constant. Of course [itex]\nabla g[/itex] is perpendicular to the surface at each point so this condition is that [itex]\nabla f[/itex] is parallel to [itex]\nabla g[/itex]: that [itex]\nabla f= \lambda\nabla g[/itex] for some constant [itex]\lambda[/itex] (the "Laplace multiplier).

Since f(x,y,z)= xyz, [itex]\nabla f= <yz, xz, xy>[/itex] and since g(x,y,z)= x+ 2y+ 3z, [itex]\nabla g= <1, 2, 3>[/itex], we must have [itex]<yz, xz, xy>= \lambda<1, 2, 3>[/itex] or [itex]yz= \lambda[/itex], [itex]xz= 2\lambda[/itex] and [itex]xy= 3\lambda[/itex]. Those, together with x+ 2y+ 3z= 6 give four equations for x, y, z, and [itex]\lambda[/itex].

Since a specific value for [itex]\lambda[/itex] is not necessary for the solution, I find it often simplest to eliminate [itex]\lambda[/itex] first by dividing one equation by another.

1. How do you calculate the maximum volume of a rectangle in R3?

To calculate the maximum volume of a rectangle in R3, you will need to find the dimensions that will give you the largest possible volume. This can be done by using the formula V = lwh, where l, w, and h represent the length, width, and height of the rectangle. Once you have the dimensions, simply plug them into the formula to find the maximum volume.

2. What is the difference between maximizing the area and maximizing the volume of a rectangle in R3?

Maximizing the area of a rectangle in R3 means finding the dimensions that will give you the largest possible surface area. This can be done by using the formula A = 2lw + 2lh + 2wh. On the other hand, maximizing the volume means finding the dimensions that will give you the largest possible 3-dimensional space enclosed by the rectangle. This can be done by using the formula V = lwh.

3. Can the maximum volume of a rectangle in R3 be calculated with only two dimensions?

No, in order to calculate the maximum volume of a rectangle in R3, you will need to know all three dimensions - length, width, and height. This is because the volume of a rectangle is a 3-dimensional measurement, and without all three dimensions, the calculation cannot be accurately performed.

4. Are there any practical applications of maximizing a rectangle in R3?

Yes, there are many practical applications of maximizing a rectangle in R3. For example, in architecture, finding the maximum volume of a room can help determine the most efficient use of space. In engineering, maximizing a rectangular prism can help determine the most cost-effective design for a building or structure. Additionally, maximizing a rectangle in R3 can also be useful in manufacturing, transportation, and many other industries.

5. How does the shape of a rectangle affect its maximum volume in R3?

The shape of a rectangle can greatly affect its maximum volume in R3. Generally, a rectangle with equal sides (a square) will have a larger maximum volume than a rectangle with unequal sides. Additionally, the orientation of the rectangle can also impact its maximum volume. For example, a rectangle with a longer length and shorter width will have a larger maximum volume than a rectangle with a shorter length and longer width.