1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximizing a Trapezoid

1. Dec 24, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A gutter is to be made from a long strip of sheet metal 24 cm wide, by bending up equal amounts at each side through equal angles. Find the angle and the dimensions that will make the carrying capacity of the gutter as large as possible.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The equation I came up with is A = 24lsin[tex]\theta[/tex] - [tex]2l^2sin\theta[/tex] + [tex].5*l^2sin(2\theta)[/tex]

And when I take the partial derivatives I get two equations and set them to 0
    24sin[tex]\theta[/tex] - 4lsin[tex]\theta[/tex] + 2lsin[tex]\theta[/tex]cos[tex]\theta[/tex] = 0

24lcos[tex]\theta[/tex] - 2l^2cos[tex]\theta[/tex] + 2l^2cos[tex](2\theta)[/tex] = 0

Substitution:
    [tex]\frac{24^2*sin(\theta)}{4sin\theta-sin(\theta*2)} - \frac{2*(24sin\theta)^2}{(4sin\theta-sin(2\theta))^2}cos\theta + \frac{2(24sin(\theta))^2*cos(2\theta)}{4sin\theta - sin(2\theta)^2}[/tex]

But how would one solve that without a graphing calculator? I can put it in and get 90 degrees (which I think is the correct answer). The book I'm using was written before calculators existed... I don't see any way to simplify that.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2007 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]\frac{24^2*sin(\theta)}{4sin\theta-sin(2\theta)} - \frac{2*(24sin\theta)^2}{(4sin\theta-sin(2\theta))^2}cos\theta + \frac{2(24sin(\theta))^2*cos(2\theta)}{(4sin\theta - sin(2\theta))^2}=0[/tex]

Throw out some common factors and it's a bit easier to look at:
    [tex]\sin(\theta) (4 \sin\theta - \sin(2 \theta))+ 2 \sin^2 \theta \cos \theta +2 \sin^2 \cos^2\theta[/tex]
    (Warning - this assumes that [itex](4sin\theta - sin(2\theta))^2 \neq 0[/itex] -- you'll have to check whether that leads to an answer.)

Now, note that
    [tex]2 \sin \theta \cos \theta = \sin 2\theta[/tex]

[tex]4 \sin^2 \theta - \sin^2 \theta \cos \theta + 2 \sin^2 \theta \cos \theta + 2\sin^2 \theta \cos^2 \theta=0[/tex]

Drop the [itex]\sin^2[/itex] since it's in all terms, and the rest is pretty straightforward.

P.S. You might want to follow this process to the end, and see what answer it leads to.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?