Maximizing radiation southward, minimizing it northward, antennas

In summary, according to the notes, the electromagnetic radiation from two antennas should be maximized if they are separated along the north-south direction and minimized if they are separated along the east-west direction. The math seems to corroborate this. However, I challenge this on the grounds of rotational symmetry.
PhDeezNutz
Homework Statement
More of a conceptual question than a homework question. Maximizing radiation southward and minimizing it northward.
Relevant Equations
(See picture in attempt at solution)

For two antennas separated along the north-south direction, operating with the same amplitude ##E_0##, same wavelength ##\lambda##, separated by a distance ##d##, and with a phase difference ##\delta## the formula for radiated intensity is

$$I = 4I_0 \cos^2 \left(\pi \frac{d}{\lambda}\sin \theta + \frac{\delta}{2} \right)$$
Homework Statement: More of a conceptual question than a homework question. Maximizing radiation southward and minimizing it northward.
Homework Equations: (See picture in attempt at solution)

For two antennas separated along the north-south direction, operating with the same amplitude ##E_0##, same wavelength ##\lambda##, separated by a distance ##d##, and with a phase difference ##\delta## the formula for radiated intensity is

$$I = 4I_0 \cos^2 \left(\pi \frac{d}{\lambda}\sin \theta + \frac{\delta}{2} \right)$$

I'm going off these notes

https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/schwartz/files/lecture18-antennas.pdf
which uses this picture

FdBJoht.jpg

My attempt at a solution is as follows, and it seems to corroborate what they are saying. That said, I will challenge it at the end on the grounds of rotational symmetry.

At the very least we want ##I\left( \theta = \frac{\pi}{2} \right) = 0## and ##I\left( \theta = \frac{3\pi}{2} \right) = 4I_0##

$$4I_0 \cos^2 \left( \pi \frac{d}{\lambda} + \frac{\delta}{2} \right) = 0$$

$$4I_0 \cos^2 \left( -\pi \frac{d}{\lambda} + \frac{\delta}{2} \right) = 0$$

Then we have

$$\pi \frac{d}{\lambda} + \frac{\delta}{2} = \frac{\pi}{2}$$

$$-\pi \frac{d}{\lambda} + \frac{\delta}{2} = 0$$

Therefore

$$\delta = \frac{\pi}{2}$$

substituting back in we find

$$d = \frac{\lambda}{4}$$

This answer corroborates their answer on the bottom of page 6/ top of page 7. Their graph is

k1CWfV0.jpg

Mathematically everything checks out but I'm challenging it on physical grounds. Intuitively you think you would get the same interference pattern in both directions; If your rotate this system 180 degrees it should be the same system.

Can someone help me reconcile this?

As always, any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The left right symmetry holds but you break the symmetry top to bottom by driving them differently.

I’m afraid I don’t follow. If you flip the system 180 degrees you still get the same phase difference along the “top bottom axis” and I would think the same interference pattern (in both directions up and down).

To me it’s all a matter of which one you want to have phase pi/2 and which one you want to have phase 0. It shouldn’t matter which one you call which.

I’ll try doing the math explicitly for traveling waves.

Edit: also the formulation in the link doesn’t seem to mention different frequencies in their derivation.

Last edited:
Yes you need to write down the waves. When you do you will see that changing δ from plus to minus π/2 changes the preferred "polar" direction. The sign of the phase matters...

Likes PhDeezNutz
hutchphd said:
Yes you need to write down the waves. When you do you will see that changing δ from plus to minus π/2 changes the preferred "polar" direction. The sign of the phase matters...

Thank you for your response.

Would it be alright if I just dispensed with the polar angle and just treated the problem "along the z-axis"?

Yes you can show the effect in 1 dimension. Two plane waves on the z axis.

Likes PhDeezNutz
Alright here we go, I treated the problem in one dimension according to the following picture. This is just a picture, later on I will show through the math that ##S_2## should actually be located below ##S_1## (which is located at the origin) assuming ##S_2## has zero phase and we associated the phase with ##S_1##.

Here's the picture; Here I'm trying to maximize radiation northwards and minimize it southward. The exact opposite of what I said in the OP.

eDht9ak.jpg

Finding the field at P due to both sources (as drawn)

$$E_1 = E_0 e^{ikz}e^{-i\omega t}e^{i \phi}$$

$$E_2 = E_0 e^{ikz}e^{-ikd}e^{- i \omega t}$$

$$E_{total} = E_1 + E_2 = E_0 e^{ikz}e^{-i \omega t} \left(e^{i\phi} + e^{-ikd} \right)$$

$$\| E_{total} \|^2 = \left( E_0 \right)^2 \left( 2 + 2 \cos \left( \phi + kd \right)\right)$$

If we want to maximize radiation northwards (Equation 1)

$$\phi = -kd$$

Finding the field at P' due to both sources (as drawn)

$$E_1 = E_0 e^{ikz}e^{-i\omega t}e^{i \phi}$$

$$E_2 = E_0 e^{ikz}e^{ikd}e^{- i \omega t}$$ (Notice the change of sign from -ikd to ikd when we were treating the first case)

$$E_{total} = E_1 + E_2 = E_0 e^{ikz}e^{-i \omega t} \left(e^{i\phi} + e^{ikd} \right)$$

$$\| E_{total} \|^2 = \left( E_0 \right)^2 \left( 2 + 2 \cos \left( \phi - kd \right)\right)$$

If we want to minimize radiation southwards (Equation 2)

$$\phi - kd = \pi$$

Trying to reconcile Equation 1 and Equation 2 we find

$$ d = - \frac{\lambda}{4} $$

$$ \phi = \frac{\pi}{2} $$

Bringing it all together

The negative ##d## value indicates the ##S_2## should actually be located beneath ##S_1##.

$$S_1 = \left( 0,0,0 \right)$$

$$S_2 = \left( 0,0, -\frac{\lambda}{4} \right)$$

##S_1## should be operated with a phase that is $$\frac{\pi}{2}$$ behind ##S_2##

Long story short

the top and bottom sources should be separated by a distance of ##d = \frac{\lambda}{4} ## with the top source being operated at a phase ## \frac{\pi}{2}## behind the bottom source. Or alternatively the bottom source being operated at a phase ##\frac{\pi}{2}## ahead of the top source.

I think I got the right answer, even If I did, it still doesn't make much intuitive sense.

Likes Klystron and hutchphd
Its all here

$$E_{total} = E_1 + E_2 = E_0 e^{ikz}e^{-i \omega t} \left(e^{i\phi} + e^{-ikd} \right)$$

The quantity in () can vanish or be as large as 2.
Each source actually sends waves in both directions. If you choose the phase to make the +z wave vanish, the -z wave will be maximal and vice-versa.
No crazy physics here...but you need to get comfortable with it.

Likes PhDeezNutz

1. What is the purpose of maximizing radiation southward and minimizing it northward with antennas?

The purpose of this approach is to create a directional antenna, which focuses the majority of its radiation in one specific direction. By maximizing radiation towards the south, the antenna can effectively communicate with devices or receivers in that direction while minimizing radiation towards the north reduces interference with nearby devices or receivers in that direction.

2. How is radiation direction controlled in antennas?

Radiation direction in antennas can be controlled through the design and placement of the antenna elements. This can include the shape, length, and orientation of the elements as well as the use of reflectors and directors to enhance the directionality of the antenna.

3. What are some practical applications of maximizing radiation southward and minimizing it northward with antennas?

Some practical applications include long-distance communication, satellite communication, and directional broadcasting. This approach can also be used in radar systems for tracking and targeting specific objects.

4. Are there any drawbacks to this approach?

One drawback is that the directional nature of the antenna means that it may not be able to communicate with devices or receivers in other directions. This can limit the coverage area of the antenna. Additionally, the directional design may require more precise alignment and aiming of the antenna for optimal performance.

5. How does this approach compare to omnidirectional antennas?

Omnidirectional antennas radiate their signal in all directions, providing a wider coverage area but with less focused and weaker signals. Maximizing radiation southward and minimizing it northward with antennas, on the other hand, offers a more concentrated and stronger signal in one specific direction but with a narrower coverage area.