1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximizing revenue

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1
    A company has 1000 widgets and will bbe able to sell all of them if the price is one dollar. The company will sell one less widget for each 10-cent increase in the price it charges. What price will maximize revenues, where revenue is the selling price times the quantity sold?

I know that I have to make a system of equations, and then multiply the equations I get for price and quantity together, all under one variable. I take the derivative of that equation and find the maximum value...

However, I do not know how to start my equations which is, unfortunately, the hard part.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, you are told " company has 1000 widgets and will bbe able to sell all of them if the price is one dollar. The company will sell one less widget for each 10-cent increase in the price it charges. "
    Okay, the number of widgets they can sell is 1000 minus the "drop off" If the price is x dollars then the increase in price (over one dollar) is x- 1. Since there are 10 10-cent increases in each dollar, that is 10(x-1) 10-cent increases in price so the number sold at price x is 1000-(10)(x-1).

10(x-1)= 10x- 10 so you can rewrite that as 1000- 10x+10= 1010- 10x. Of course, if the price is x dollars each, then the revenue is x times the number sold or just
    x(1010- 10x)= 1010x- 10x^2. That's the revenue you want to maximize. Yes, you can do that by differentiating but I would consider "completing the square" to be more fundamental.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?