1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximizing the area

1. Mar 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A running track consists of a rectangle with a semicircle at each end. If the perimeter is to be exactly 440 yards, find the dimensions (x and r) that maximize the area of the rectangle. [Hint The perimeter is 2x + 2[tex]\pi[/tex]r

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok I attempted this twice and got the exact same answer, twice. Here is what I did.

First I set up the equation: 440 = 2x + 2[tex]\pi[/tex]r

I then set up the equation: Area (total) = [tex]\pi[/tex]r2 + 2rx where x is the length of the side of the field (not counting the semicircles) and r is the radius.

I solved for x from the first equation and came up with x = 220 - [tex]\pi[/tex]r

I then plugged the value of x into the second equation. Once I destrubuted it, I took the derivative and set it to zero and had 2r[tex]\pi[/tex] + 440 - 4[tex]\pi[/tex]r = 0

Solving for r, I got 70.03. The answer in the back of the book is 110. What am I doing wrong?

I appreciate the help!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi wcbryant87! :smile:
    erm :redface: … wrong area! :wink:

4. Mar 14, 2009 #3
    haha. wow. the 'aha' moment has hit me. thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook