Maximum Speed with Maximum Acceleration

In summary, the question is asking for the maximum speed that the train attains between subway stations, given a maximum acceleration of 1.70 m/s2 and a distance of 699 m between stations. To find this, we must consider that the train will have to accelerate and decelerate at the same maximum acceleration for half the distance to reach the halfway point at maximum speed. Using the kinematic equation d= v(initial)t + .5at^2, we can solve for t to find the time it takes to reach the halfway point. Then, using another kinematic equation relating final velocity and acceleration, we can find the maximum speed of the train at that time. This is the maximum speed that the train attains between
jrk613

Homework Statement

If the maximum acceleration that is tolerable for passengers in a subway is 1.70 m/s2, and the subway stations are located 699 m apart, what is the maximum speed that the train attains between stations?

Homework Equations

d= v(initial)t + .5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

699m = 0t + .5(1.7)t^2

Is this wrong, I don't know what to do. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

First off, you are not calculating a speed. You are calculating how long it will take the train to reach the next station if it were accelerating all the way.

You need to consider that the train will have to accelerate at the maximum acceleration for half the distance and then decelerate at the same maximum but opposite acceleration for the other half of the distance so that it is at rest when it reaches the next station. The maximum speed that problem is asking is attained at the half-way point.

so I would want to solve for t right? The time it will take? also should i cut the distance (d) in half to 349.5? Sorry, I'm just not very good at this but thank you very much for any help.

kuruman said:
First off, you are not calculating a speed. You are calculating how long it will take the train to reach the next station if it were accelerating all the way.

You need to consider that the train will have to accelerate at the maximum acceleration for half the distance and then decelerate at the same maximum but opposite acceleration for the other half of the distance so that it is at rest when it reaches the next station. The maximum speed that problem is asking is attained at the half-way point.
It is also possible that the train attains maximum speed with maximum acceleration, moves certain distance and then again slows down with maximum retardation before coming stop.

rl.bhat said:
It is also possible that the train attains maximum speed with maximum acceleration, moves certain distance and then again slows down with maximum retardation before coming stop.

I don't think so. If the train accelerates at maximum acceleration, the final speed will be greater the longer time it accelerates. So it needs to accelerate for half the distance to maximize the acceleration time.
jrk613t said:
so I would want to solve for t right? The time it will take? also should i cut the distance (d) in half to 349.5? Sorry, I'm just not very good at this but thank you very much for any help.

Yes, solve for t required to reach the halfway mark at maximum acceleration. Then use the kinematic equation relating the final velocity and acceleration to find the speed at that time. That is the maximum speed because the train will have to start slowing down past that time.

What is maximum acceleration?

Maximum acceleration, also known as peak acceleration, is the highest rate of change in velocity that an object can achieve within a given time frame.

Why is maximum acceleration important?

Maximum acceleration is important because it determines how quickly an object can reach its maximum velocity. It is also a key factor in the amount of force and energy that an object can withstand.

How is maximum acceleration calculated?

Maximum acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. It can also be determined by taking the derivative of an object's velocity over time graph.

What factors affect maximum acceleration?

The factors that affect maximum acceleration include the mass of the object, the force applied to the object, and the object's resistance to motion (such as air resistance). The shape and surface area of the object can also play a role.

What are some real-world examples of maximum acceleration?

Some real-world examples of maximum acceleration include the takeoff of a plane, the launch of a rocket, and the acceleration of a car from 0 to 60 miles per hour. It is also a key concept in sports like track and field, where athletes strive for their maximum acceleration to reach top speeds.