1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum acceleration of a Porsche on a concrete surface?

1. Aug 12, 2005 #1
    A Porsche 944 Turbo has a rated power of 217 hp and a mass, with the driver, of 1460 kg. Two-thirds of the car's weight is over the drive wheels.

What is the maximum acceleration of the Porsche on a concrete surface where static friction=1.0

1hp=476watts
    217hp=103292 watts

and power= Force*velo but whats the force?

What is the speed of the Porsche at maximum power output
    thats easy if i get the force i just solve for v

If the Porsche accelerates at , how long does it take until it reaches the maximum power output?
    again easy if i can get the first part. any help is appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The force acting on the car is the static friction of the road on the tires. The maximum possible static friction force is given by [itex]\mu N[/itex], where N is the normal force pressing the surfaces together. That should get you going.

4. Aug 12, 2005 #3
    yea i think i got that but im not sure if the rest is right then

u*N=ma

(1.0*1460kg*9.81)/1460 = a? that doesnt seem right is there another force?

5. Aug 12, 2005 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Friction is the only horizontal force you need worry about. (I presume you may ignore air resistance.) But note that you were told "Two-thirds of the car's weight is over the drive wheels". How would that modify the normal force used to calculate the friction?

6. Aug 12, 2005 #5
    ooo right so

1*9.81*(2/3)m=m(total)*a ok that should workk thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?