Solve SHM: Max Acceleration | Physics Homework

In summary, when an object performs simple harmonic motion, the maximum acceleration occurs when the displacement is maximum, and the maximum velocity occurs when the acceleration is zero. The maximum potential energy is equal to the maximum kinetic energy with the standard choice of potential energy being zero at zero displacement from equilibrium. However, it is possible for either the maximum potential energy or maximum kinetic energy to be greater than the other if the zero level of potential energy is redefined.
curiosity colour

Homework Statement

*Forgot to mention that this is a SHM question in the title
Which of the following statements about an object that which perform an Simple harmonic motion is true?
A) the acceleration is maximum when the velocity is maximum
B) the acceleration is maximum when the displacement is maximum
C) the maximum potential energy is greater than the maximum kinectic energy
D) the maximum kinectic energy is greater than the maximum potential energy

Homework Equations

x= A sin wt
v= Aw cos wt
a= Aw^2 sin wt

The Attempt at a Solution

At first i was choosing a because i believe c and d is not possible due to conversation of energy. But then i feeling like something wasn't right, so i went to check my references book on the graphs of x,v,a against t.
Which i found out that when a is maximum, v is 0 and when a is 0, v is maximum. So i change my answer to b. But the answer given is a. So i wonder why is it a
SHM1.gif

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
B is correct. Just note that you missed a minus sign in your acceleration expression. The graph is qualitatively correct. A is false.

Likes Professor Peanut
Orodruin said:
B is correct. Just note that you missed a minus sign in your acceleration expression. The graph is qualitatively correct. A is false.
Oh yeah i forgot to put the minus sign. Thanks for the quick answer

Also note that while answers C and D are both false with the standard choice of potential energy being zero at zero displacement from the equilibrium (the correct thing being that the maximum potential is equal to the maximum kinetic energy with that choice of potential), there is nothing stopping you from arbitrarily redefining the zero level of the potential energy. If you do, either C or D could be made to be correct.

1. What is SHM?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion. It is a type of oscillatory motion in which an object moves back and forth in a regular pattern.

2. What is the formula for maximum acceleration in SHM?

The formula for maximum acceleration in SHM is a = -ω²x, where ω is the angular frequency and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

3. How do you solve for maximum acceleration in SHM?

To solve for maximum acceleration in SHM, you need to know the angular frequency (ω) and the displacement from equilibrium (x). Then, plug these values into the formula a = -ω²x and solve for the maximum acceleration.

4. What is the unit of measurement for maximum acceleration in SHM?

The unit of measurement for maximum acceleration in SHM is meters per second squared (m/s²).

5. How does amplitude affect maximum acceleration in SHM?

Amplitude does not affect maximum acceleration in SHM. Maximum acceleration is solely determined by the angular frequency and displacement from equilibrium.