Maximum allowable current in a 12-gauge aluminum wire

In summary, the maximum allowable current for 12-gauge aluminum wire with rubber insulation is 15.5A.
yanyin
Aluminum wiring has sometimes been used instead of copper for economy. According to the National Electrical Code, the maximum allowable current for 12-gauge copper wire with rubber insulation is 20A. What should be the maximum allowable current in a 12-gauge aluminum wire if the power per unit length delivered to the resistance in the aluminum write is the same as that delivered in the copper wire?
Please help me to figure out the steps. the answer is 15.5A.

Physics news on Phys.org
Although I am late with an answer for the original author someone might benefit.
You need to calculate the respective Resistances for Copper and Aluminium using their resistivities. The problem also stated that the wire was 12 gauge- I found the xs Area to be 3.310 x 10^-6 m2 (looked this up on internet) and the Power used by each wire to be equal while the Imax for the copper wire was 20A.
Starting with Copper the resistivity is 1.7 x 10^-8 ohm/m.
Using the formula R/l= resistivity/ xs Area I found that R/l= 5.14 x 10^-3 ohm/m
The using V=IR I found V= 1.03 x 10^-1 V.
Calculate the Power using P=I2R or P=IV you get 2.056W.

Next work out the copper story by firstly finding the R/l= 2.82 x 10^-8 ohm.m/ 3.310 m2
and that works out to be 8.52 x 10^-3 ohm/m.
Using the Power value above substitute the value for R(aluminium) and Power (copper) in P=I2R and you get Imax for Aluminium = 15.53A.

It also agrees with the theory that the greater the resistance in a wire the lesser the Imax for the wire when comparing two different metal wires of the same gauge.

This is my FIRST POST ANSWER!

Last edited:
drmermaid said:
...This is my FIRST POST ANSWER!

Unfortunately, I think it's 5 years too late for this fellow's NEC exam (or whatever it was for)!

It was in my physics homework so who knows who else wants to figure it out.

1. What is the maximum allowable current for a 12-gauge aluminum wire?

The maximum allowable current for a 12-gauge aluminum wire is typically around 20 amps. However, this can vary depending on the specific wire and its intended use.

2. What factors determine the maximum allowable current for a 12-gauge aluminum wire?

The maximum allowable current for a 12-gauge aluminum wire is determined by factors such as the wire's material, temperature rating, and installation method. Other considerations may include the length of the wire and the type of circuit it is being used in.

3. Is there a difference in maximum allowable current for aluminum and copper wires?

Yes, there is a difference in maximum allowable current for aluminum and copper wires. Aluminum wires typically have a lower maximum allowable current than copper wires of the same gauge due to their lower conductivity.

4. Can the maximum allowable current be increased for a 12-gauge aluminum wire?

In some cases, the maximum allowable current for a 12-gauge aluminum wire may be increased by using a higher temperature rated wire or implementing special installation techniques. However, it is important to consult with a qualified electrician or engineer before attempting to increase the maximum allowable current for any wire.

5. What are the potential hazards of exceeding the maximum allowable current for a 12-gauge aluminum wire?

Exceeding the maximum allowable current for a 12-gauge aluminum wire can lead to overheating and potential fire hazards. It can also cause damage to electrical equipment and result in electrical failures or malfunctions. It is important to always adhere to the recommended maximum allowable current for any wire to ensure safety and proper functioning.