Rocket's Max Altitude: 295 kg Weather Rocket

In summary: Therefore, the mass will not change and can be ignored in the calculations.In summary, a 295 kg weather rocket with 112 kg of fuel is fired straight up and accelerates at 33.67 m/s2 for 35.2 s before running out of fuel. By using the displacement formula and the given acceleration, the rocket's maximum altitude can be calculated to be 62577.7152 m. The changing mass of the rocket does not need to be considered in these calculations.
sktgurl930
A 295 kg weather rocket is loaded with 112 kg of fuel and fired straight up. It accelerates upward at 33.67 m/s2 for 35.2 s, then runs out of fuel. Ignore any air resistance effects.
What is the rocket's maximum altitude?

Im so lost if someone can please help me it would be so awesome

Physics news on Phys.org
sktgurl930 said:
A 295 kg weather rocket is loaded with 112 kg of fuel and fired straight up. It accelerates upward at 33.67 m/s2 for 35.2 s, then runs out of fuel. Ignore any air resistance effects.
What is the rocket's maximum altitude?

Im so lost if someone can please help me it would be so awesome

The rocket requires 2 calculations.

The first is to determine the speed and height it gets to during the rocket ignition phase.

Thereafter it is being slowed by gravity. Determine from the speed you calculated as a result of the rocket ignition how much higher it will go. Add the 2 distances together.

Here are some formulas to help you.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2

hmmm not too sure. have you considered any SUVAT equations?? S=ut + 1/2at^2 perhaps then something to do with G.P.E??

ok i think I am doing something wrong here cause i got V= 1185.184, and X to = 41718.4768

so with the displacement formula i put x= V*35.2+.5*33.67*T^2

and my answer was 62577.7152 m

sktgurl930 said:
ok i think I am doing something wrong here cause i got V= 1185.184, and X to = 41718.4768

so with the displacement formula i put x= V*35.2+.5*33.67*T^2

and my answer was 62577.7152 m

Your first answer is incorrect. The height will be given simply by 1/2 a* t 2 and that looks like you are missing a factor of 1/2. Your initial velocity is correct.

On the second part you have x from the Vf2 - vi2 = 2 a*x. For Vi = 1185.184
(At max height vf will be = 0.)

x = (1185.184)2/2(9.8)

Then add the corrected value of the first part and you're done.

The amount of fuel is listed as a given. One must factor in changing mass and therefore acceleration.

DaveC426913 said:
The amount of fuel is listed as a given. One must factor in changing mass and therefore acceleration.

Given the statement of the problem, with constant acceleration given, the rate of change of mass should not be a concern. The fuel is apparently expended as it enters the gravity only phase is all you apparently need to know.

If the statement of the problem indicated that initial acceleration was xxx and it maintained constant force, then I agree it would be a concern. But I don't read it that way. And since I read this as an introductory question, I think the simpler interpretation is the most likely.

LowlyPion said:
Given the statement of the problem, with constant acceleration given, the rate of change of mass should not be a concern. The fuel is apparently expended as it enters the gravity only phase is all you apparently need to know.

If the statement of the problem indicated that initial acceleration was xxx and it maintained constant force, then I agree it would be a concern. But I don't read it that way. And since I read this as an introductory question, I think the simpler interpretation is the most likely.
You're right. Upon re-reading, I see that the acceleration is also a given, and is constant.

1. What is the purpose of the "Rocket's Max Altitude: 295 kg Weather Rocket" experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to measure the maximum altitude that a weather rocket carrying a payload of 295 kg can reach. This information can provide valuable data for future rocket designs and weather forecasting.

2. How is the maximum altitude calculated for the weather rocket?

The maximum altitude is calculated using a combination of factors such as the weight of the payload, thrust of the rocket, atmospheric conditions, and flight trajectory. These factors are used in mathematical equations to determine the rocket's maximum height.

3. What type of weather conditions are ideal for launching the rocket?

Ideal weather conditions for launching the rocket include clear skies, low wind speeds, and low humidity levels. These conditions help to ensure a stable flight trajectory and accurate altitude measurements.

4. How does the weight of the payload affect the rocket's maximum altitude?

The weight of the payload has a significant impact on the rocket's maximum altitude. A heavier payload requires more thrust to lift off the ground, which can result in a lower maximum altitude. On the other hand, a lighter payload may allow the rocket to reach higher altitudes.

5. What safety precautions are taken during the launch of the weather rocket?

Safety is a top priority during the launch of the weather rocket. Precautions such as clearing the launch area, ensuring proper assembly and functioning of the rocket, and monitoring weather conditions are taken to ensure the safety of personnel and the surrounding area.