Max Amplitude Gravitational Waves: 2?

In summary, according to sources, the maximum amplitude of gravitational waves is equal to two. If the perturbation of the metric is not small, the linearized approximation is no longer valid, which means whatever you're studying is no longer usefully viewed as a "gravitational wave"; it's a more general curved spacetime.
James Essig
I am curious as to what the maximum amplitude of gravitational waves is. I have read that the maximum amplitude as such is equal to two but I cannot seem to find again a reference that states this clearly.

Physics news on Phys.org
James Essig said:
I have read that the maximum amplitude as such is equal to two

Where have you read that?

I am not sure. My memory seems to indicate that I read of the value of two in a Wikipedia article but upon searching related Wikipedia topics, I cannot find any verifying statements. Wikipedia is far from the most credible sources, so perhaps a more credible source is preferred. By a factor of two, I mean the extent of the space of maximum space contraction is 50 % of the extent of the space of maximum space expansion as a result of a passing gravitational wave.

I have never heard this before. I suspect that your recollection is mistaken.

James Essig said:
By a factor of two, I mean the extent of the space of maximum space contraction is 50 % of the extent of the space of maximum space expansion as a result of a passing gravitational wave.

I have never heard this either so I agree with @Dale that your recollection is most likely mistaken.

As far as a general answer to your question, gravitational waves are standardly treated using the linearized approximation of GR, which assumes that any perturbations of the metric are small; since the size of the perturbation of the metric is the amplitude of the gravitational wave, that would mean that the amplitude of gravitational waves should be small. Of course "small" does not have a precise definition; it depends on the problem and on how accurate you want your predictions to be. But generally speaking, if the perturbation is not small, the linearized approximation is no longer valid, which means whatever you're studying is no longer usefully viewed as a "gravitational wave"; it's a more general curved spacetime.

1. What are gravitational waves and how are they measured?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time caused by the acceleration of massive objects, such as merging black holes or neutron stars. They can be measured using highly sensitive detectors, such as LIGO, which use lasers to detect tiny changes in distance caused by passing gravitational waves.

2. What is the significance of a "Max Amplitude" gravitational wave?

The amplitude of a gravitational wave refers to the strength of the wave's distortion of space-time. A "Max Amplitude" gravitational wave would have the highest amplitude possible, indicating a very powerful and potentially cataclysmic event that caused the wave.

3. How is the amplitude of a gravitational wave calculated?

The amplitude of a gravitational wave is calculated by measuring the maximum displacement of the space-time fabric at a particular point caused by the passing wave. This measurement is usually very small, on the order of 1/1000th the width of a proton.

4. Are there different types of gravitational waves?

Yes, there are two main types of gravitational waves: continuous and transient. Continuous waves are produced by systems with a constant acceleration, such as rotating neutron stars. Transient waves are produced by more violent and shorter events, such as black hole mergers.

5. How does the detection of gravitational waves contribute to our understanding of the universe?

The detection of gravitational waves allows us to observe and study events in the universe that were previously invisible to us. It provides a new way to study the behavior of massive objects, such as black holes, and can help us better understand the fundamental laws of physics and the origins of the universe.