Finding Global Maximum and Minimum on a Given Interval

In summary, the problem is asking to find the global maximum and global minimum of the function f(x) = x^2e^x on the interval [-2, 1]. The first step is to find the derivative of the function and set it to 0 to find any potential extremum points. In this case, the derivative is 0 at x=-2 and x=0. By further calculations or plotting the function, it can be determined that these points are either minima or maxima. The function also exists at the endpoints of the interval, which are -2 and 1. Therefore, the maximum and minimum must occur at x=-2, x=0, or x=1. It is incorrect to simply
tunabeast
[SOLVED] Maximum and minimum problem

Homework Statement

Determine the global maximum and global minimum of the following func-
tions on the given interval, or indicate why these do not exist.

f(x) = [tex]x^{2}e^{x}[/tex] on [2, 1].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not understand the way the lecturer solves this kind of question. I am used to finding values of f'(x) and then substituting these into f''(x) to find the local maxima/minima, he is using some kind of number scale which is hard to illustrate. As for the actual solution i think there is a local maximum at x=0, and a minimum at x=-2.

Physics news on Phys.org
tunabeast said:
As for the actual solution i think there is a local maximum at x=0, and a minimum at x=-2.

# You found the answer by yourself. The question is whether there are any extremum points in the given interval (from 1 to 2) and the points you found are not in the given interval.

Just reading over the question i realize i made a mistake, the interval is in fact [-2, 1]. Do i need to substitute all of the numbers in the interval to the equation, ie. -2,-1,0,1?

tunabeast said:
Just reading over the question i realize i made a mistake, the interval is in fact [-2, 1]. Do i need to substitute all of the numbers in the interval to the equation, ie. -2,-1,0,1?

# OK, then. As you said the derivative of the function is 0 at x=0, and x=-2 and they are in the interval [-2,1]. By further calculating the second derivative or just plotting, or sketching the function, you can see whether these points are minima or maxima (or saddle points etc). And f(0) and f(-2) are the numbers you want.
# You can not substitute all of the numbers in the interval to the function if the numbers are real. There are infinite numbers :-) Differentiation is devised for this purpose.

Thanks for your help :)

A continuous function always has "global" minimum and maximum on a closed and bounded interval! Such maximum and minimum must a one of these kinds of places:
1. In the interior of the interval where the derivative is 0.
2. In the interior of the interval where the derivative does not exist.
3. At one of the endoints.

Here you have found that
1. The derivative is 0 at -2 and 0.
2. The derivative always exists.
3. The end points are -2 and 1.

The maximum and minimum must occur at x= -2, or x= 0, or x= 1. I suspect that is the "kind of number scale" your instructor is using.

I wondered why you had included x= 1 in that. Surely you are not just checking all integer values of x in the interval? That's wrong for two reasons. In the first place there is no need to check

I was wondering why you had included x= 1 in your list. Surely you are not checking at all integer values of x in the interval? That's wrong for two reasons. First you don't need to check x= 1: it doesn't meet any of the requirements above. Far more importantly, there is no requirement that a maximum or minimum must be at an integer value of x (except that it makes the function simpler for students to work with)! You might be missing the correct value completely. If I were your teacher and saw you doing that, I would give you a problem to work in which the max and min were NOT at integer values of x.

1. What is a maximum and minimum problem?

A maximum and minimum problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the largest or smallest possible value of a given function, within a given set of constraints or conditions.

2. What are some real-life applications of maximum and minimum problems?

Maximum and minimum problems are commonly used in finance, engineering, and science to optimize processes and make decisions based on constraints. For example, determining the maximum profit a company can make with limited resources, or finding the minimum amount of material needed to build a bridge that can withstand a certain load.

3. How do you solve a maximum and minimum problem?

To solve a maximum and minimum problem, you need to first identify the function and the constraints. Then, use various mathematical techniques such as differentiation, optimization algorithms, or graphing to find the maximum or minimum value of the function within the given constraints.

4. What is the difference between a local and global maximum or minimum?

A local maximum or minimum is the largest or smallest value of a function within a specific interval, while a global maximum or minimum is the largest or smallest value of a function within its entire domain. A global maximum or minimum can also be a local maximum or minimum, but not all local extrema are global extrema.

5. How can maximum and minimum problems be solved using technology?

Maximum and minimum problems can be solved using various software and tools, such as graphing calculators, optimization software, and computer programs. These tools can efficiently handle complex functions and constraints, making it easier to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.