1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Maximum and Minimum problem

1. Jul 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

11. Maximize Q=xy, where x and y are positive numbers such that (4/3)x2 + y=16

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to do it. The first time I did it. I multiplied the (4/3)x^2 +y=16 by (3/4) and got x^2+y=12 and then y=12-x^2 when solving for y. I used that equation to find the derivative of the product xy.

How come I cannot do that because this still gave me a maximum and the critical point was still 2 but the other numbers were wrong. I don't understand why you can't solve for y like that?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Maybe you did it correctly the first time, but what you have above is incorrect. If you multiply (4/3)x2 + y = 16 by 3/4, you get x2 + (3/4)y = 12.

In any case, there is no need to multiply by 3/4. Just solve for y in that equation, and substitute for y in Q = xy.
    The two critical numbers are x = 2 and x = -2. Since x > 0, you don't need to worry about x = -2. Because of the error in forgetting to multiply y by 3/4, that affects the value you get for y, so I suspect that's why you're getting incorrect value for the maximum value.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook