Maximum and minimum velocity of a moving object on a bank angle

In summary, the problem asks for the speed at which no friction is required on a banked curve with a radius of 300 m and an angle of 10°. The answer for part A is 18.9 m/s. For part B, the problem involves finding the maximum and minimum speeds at which the curve can be traveled with a given coefficient of friction of 0.8. The key to solving this problem is setting up and solving equations for the net forces in the x and y directions, as well as considering the direction of positive and negative for the coordinate systems.
Violagirl

Homework Statement

A curve of radius 300 m is banked at an angle of 10°. A) At what speed is no friction required? B) If the coefficient of friction is 0.8, what are the maximum and minimum speeds at which the curve can be traveled?

Homework Equations

F=m*a
ac=mv2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A) I found the velocity needed for no friction is 18.9 m/s. It's B that I am stumped on. I have no idea if I'm even setting it up correctly as determining the angles and perpendicular forces that are related to one another has been problematic for me.

Here's what I've gotten so far:

Fx[/SUB=max, ax=mv2/r

Fx=f cos 10°+N sin10°=ax=mv2/r

Fy=0

Fy=-N cos 10°-mg=0

f = μN

Is this the correct setup?

Also, in drawing out the free body diagram, I had a question regarding angle setup. In determining the x coordinate system, it was easy to visually see that friction had an angle of cos θ. In determining the angle for N however, I saw that the angle next to the x coordinate system by f, it corresponded to 90-θ. Since this angle of 90- is next to the angle of for f, someone told me it was opposite sin θ since cos θ was found for f and I did not fully understand that. Otherwise, what is next after setting it up? Any suggestions? Thank you for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org

For part B, you are on the right track with your setup. You correctly identified the forces acting on the object (friction, normal force, and weight) and used the equations for Newton's second law and centripetal acceleration. However, there are a few things to consider when solving this problem.

First, you need to define the direction of positive and negative for your x and y coordinate systems. It is important to be consistent with this throughout your problem. In this case, you can define the positive x direction as pointing towards the center of the curve and the positive y direction as pointing perpendicular to the surface of the curve. This way, the negative y direction will be pointing towards the center of the circle.

Next, you can use the equations you have correctly set up to find the maximum and minimum speeds at which the curve can be traveled. To do this, you will need to use the fact that the net force in the x direction must equal zero for the object to remain on the curve. This means that the sum of the forces in the x direction (friction and the component of the normal force in the x direction) must equal zero.

You can also use the fact that the net force in the y direction must equal the centripetal force for the object to remain on the curve. This means that the sum of the forces in the y direction (the component of the normal force in the y direction and the weight) must equal the centripetal force.

Using these equations and the given coefficient of friction, you can solve for the maximum and minimum speeds at which the curve can be traveled.

In terms of the angles, it is important to remember that the angles of the forces are measured with respect to the positive x direction. So, for example, the angle for the component of the normal force in the x direction would be 90-10=80 degrees, as you correctly identified.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem!

1. What is the maximum velocity of a moving object on a bank angle?

The maximum velocity of a moving object on a bank angle is the highest speed that the object can reach while moving on a curved path. It is dependent on the bank angle, as well as other factors such as the mass and aerodynamics of the object.

2. How is the maximum velocity affected by the bank angle?

The maximum velocity is directly affected by the bank angle. As the bank angle increases, the maximum velocity also increases. This is because a higher bank angle allows for a tighter turn, which requires a higher velocity to maintain the turn.

3. What is the minimum velocity of a moving object on a bank angle?

The minimum velocity of a moving object on a bank angle is the lowest speed that the object can maintain while moving on a curved path. It is determined by the bank angle and the object's ability to generate enough lift to stay on the curved path.

4. How does the minimum velocity change with different bank angles?

The minimum velocity increases as the bank angle increases. This is because a higher bank angle requires a higher velocity to maintain the turn, and if the velocity drops below the minimum required, the object will not be able to maintain the turn and will either slip or stall.

5. Can the maximum and minimum velocity be the same on a bank angle?

No, the maximum and minimum velocity cannot be the same on a bank angle. The maximum velocity is determined by the object's ability to generate lift, while the minimum velocity is determined by the object's ability to maintain the turn. These two factors are not the same and therefore, the maximum and minimum velocities will be different on a bank angle.