What is the Maximum Angle of Deflection in a Particle Collision?

In summary, the problem asks for the maximum angle of deflection of a larger particle of mass M after it collides with a smaller particle of mass m, initially at rest. The solution involves solving in the center of mass reference frame and then relating the velocities in that frame to the velocities in the laboratory frame.
fedecolo

Homework Statement

A particle of mass ##M## and speed ##v_1## bumps a particle of mass ##m##, ##(M >m)##, at rest. Find the maximum angle of deflection of ##M## after the bump.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would like to solve this problem in the reference frame of the center of mass, because it seems that the counts are very little :D
By definition, if I call ##u_1,u_2## the velocities of the particles in the CdM reference frame, I have ##p_{CdM}=Mu_1 -mu_2=0##. Then I call ##u_1 ',u_2 '## the velocities after the bump (the quantity of motion of Cdm is 0 also after the bump). In the image there is a sketch of the situation, with ##\phi## the scattering angle. But now I'm struggling in relating the velocities ##u_1,u_2,u_1 ',u_2 '## with the end velocities of the particles ##v_1 ', v_2'## in the frame of the laboratory. My question is: how to sketch this four vectors?

Attachments

• IMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0262.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 458
Physics news on Phys.org
In the CoM frame the masses can go in any direction. The problem asks for the frame where the larger mass is initially at rest.

What is the maximum angle of deflection?

The maximum angle of deflection is the largest angle that an object or material can bend or twist before it breaks or permanently deforms.

How is the maximum angle of deflection determined?

The maximum angle of deflection is determined by the physical properties of the object or material, such as its stiffness, strength, and elasticity. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and applied forces.

Why is the maximum angle of deflection important?

The maximum angle of deflection is important because it helps engineers and designers determine the structural integrity and safety of a structure or material. It also plays a role in ensuring that the object or material can withstand the intended load or forces.

What factors can affect the maximum angle of deflection?

In addition to physical properties and external factors, the shape, size, and composition of the object or material can also affect the maximum angle of deflection. Changes in these factors can alter the amount of stress and strain placed on the object or material, thus impacting its deflection.

How can the maximum angle of deflection be calculated?

The maximum angle of deflection can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the physical properties and dimensions of the object or material, as well as the applied forces and stresses. These calculations help engineers and scientists determine the maximum deflection before failure or deformation occurs.