What is the Maximum Angular Velocity of a Reverse Three-Speed Transmission?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a reverse three-speed automotive transmission. The gears are illustrated in a figure and their radii are given. The problem involves finding the number of teeth in each gear, the angular velocity of the drive shaft, the torque on the output shaft, and the number of turns the load shaft makes to reach its maximum angular velocity. The solution involves using ratios, torque equations, and solving for time. The final answer is 667 revolutions.
orangeincup
I calculated a, b, and c, I just need help with d.

1. Homework Statement [/b]
The operation of a "reverse" three-speed automotive transmission is illustrated the in
figure. Each of the gears rotate about a fixed axis. Note that gears A and B, C and D, E
and F are in mesh. The radii of each of these gears are shown in the figure. The shaft G
starts from rest and reaches its maximum angular velocity of ωG = 60 rad/s. The mass
moment of inertia of the load shaft is given as 5.0 kgm^2
. The shaft G is driven by a 2 hp motor. Assume that the efficiency of the gear box is 80 %.

a) If gear A has 45 teeth and if B, C and D, E have the same diametral pitch
calculate the number of teeth in gears B, C, D, E, F.
b) Determine the angular velocity of the drive shaft H.
c) Calculate the torque on the output shaft.
d) How many turns does the load shaft make to reach its maximum angular velocity.

Homework Equations

P=ω*τ
τ=IgAc

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Used the ratios to solve, all end up having to be .5, so 45, 15, 15, 25, 35, 30

b) Multiplied ω*45/15, and repeated for every gear until I reduced it to 127ω
c)(127/.8) for efficiency, converted 2hp into 1491.5 W. 1491.5/(127/.8)=9.4
d) Not sure where to start for this... I assume I need something that has rpm in it, and I have to use the moment of inertia somehow.

Attachments

• dgear.png
    dgear.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 664
Physics news on Phys.org
(d) that would be correct - though it will help to think through the physics before looking for an equation.
What determines the mag angular velocity?
What is the initial angular velocity?
Does it have a uniform acceleration?

Likes 1 person
The rpm from the motor?
127ω? Or is that the max? I don't know how the acceleration of this system works
I think it is constant, but I don't know what it is

T=IgAc

9.4 N-m=5kg*m^2 * Ac
Ac=1.88

Solving for time: ω=ω0+Act
(126rad/s)/(1.88)=t
t=67.02s

126 rad/s * 60 / 2*∏ = 1203 rpm
1203 rpm *(67.02s/60)=1344 revolutions

Does this look correct?

orangeincup said:
T=IgAc

9.4 N-m=5kg*m^2 * Ac
Ac=1.88

Solving for time: ω=ω0+Act
(126rad/s)/(1.88)=t
t=67.02s

126 rad/s * 60 / 2*∏ = 1203 rpm
1203 rpm *(67.02s/60)=1344 revolutions

Does this look correct?

That looks likt the sort of reasoning I'd use yeah.
I knew you'd get there :)

Likes 1 person
According to my solution the answer is 667 rev, should I be using the 60 rad/s anywhere? Or is there any mistake you see?

orangeincup said:
According to my solution the answer is 667 rev, should I be using the 60 rad/s anywhere? Or is there any mistake you see?
Of course... That's the max speed.
I didn't go through your work in detail. Where did you get the figure you used?

Never mind

Last edited:
Never mind I figured it out.

What is maximum angular velocity?

Maximum angular velocity, also known as peak angular velocity, is the highest rotational speed that an object can achieve. It is measured in radians per second or revolutions per minute.

How is maximum angular velocity calculated?

Maximum angular velocity is calculated by dividing the angular displacement by the time taken to complete the rotation. It can also be calculated by dividing the circumference of the circle by the time taken to complete one full revolution.

What factors affect maximum angular velocity?

The factors that affect maximum angular velocity include the size and shape of the object, the force or torque applied to the object, and the resistance of the medium in which the object is rotating.

What is the difference between maximum angular velocity and average angular velocity?

Maximum angular velocity is the highest rotational speed that an object can achieve, while average angular velocity is the average rotational speed over a given period of time. Maximum angular velocity can be higher or lower than average angular velocity depending on the shape and size of the object and the forces acting on it.

Why is maximum angular velocity important in physics?

Maximum angular velocity is important in physics because it helps us understand the rotational motion of objects. It is used to calculate the centripetal force required to keep an object in circular motion and to determine the stability and balance of rotating objects. It is also a key factor in designing and analyzing machines and structures that involve rotational motion.