Optimizing Area and Volume: Solving Maximum Problems

• Thread starter Dr Zoidburg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maximum
In summary, the two people were discussing the Maximum Area/Volume problems. One person solved it, while the other is trying to figure out how to do it.
Dr Zoidburg
[SOLVED] Maximum area/volume problems

I have two here. One I feel I've solved but am just looking for reassurance (I'm needy that way!), The other I've got an answer but I know I've missed something.

Homework Statement

1. A rectangle is inscribed in a 6/8/10 cm right-angle triangle where two vertices (and one side) touch the hypotenuse side and the other two vertices each touching one of the other two sides.
Find the greatest area posssible.

2.A closed rectangular container with a square base is to have a volume of 2000cm[tex]^{3}[/tex]. It costs twice as much per cm[tex]^{2}[/tex] for the top and bottom as it does for the sides. Find the dimensions of least cost.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one, I made the hypotenuse the base of the triangle. I then worked out the height of the triangle using trig (height = 4.8cm)
I then used the equivalent triangles theory to state that the base: height ratio of the 6/8/10 triangle is 25:12 (10:4.8), therefore the same ratio would apply for the triangle made within by the rectangle, at the top of the large triangle (hope that's clear!).
i.e. If we take the height of the smaller inner triangle to be h and the base b, then the ratio of b:h is 25:12, making b=25h/12. This is one side of the rectangle.
The height of the rectangle is 4.8-h, making the area b*(4.8-h) = 25h/12(4.8-h)
f(h) = 10h - 25h[tex]^{2}[/tex]/12
f'(h) = 10 - 25h/6
putting f'(h) to 0, we get h=2.4, making b=5 and the area 24cm[tex]^{2}[/tex].
Now assuming this is correct, I was curiously wondering if there's any other way of doing this. I justa sort of madea this uppa as I went.

2. base of box = x, height = h.
Volume of box = x[tex]^{2}[/tex]h = 2000, h = 2000/[tex]x^{2}[/tex]
Surface area of box = 2x[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 4xh
SA = 2x[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 4x.2000/[tex]x^{2}[/tex] = 2x[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 8000/x
f'(SA) = 4x - 8000/[tex]x^{2}[/tex] = 0
4[tex]x^{3}[/tex] - 8000 = 0
[tex]x^{3}[/tex] = 2000
x = 12.6, which means h also = 12.6
This is correct in every aspect except it ignores the extra bit of the cost of the box sides/base. Where/how do I bring that info into the equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr Zoidburg said:
I have two here. One I feel I've solved but am just looking for reassurance (I'm needy that way!), The other I've got an answer but I know I've missed something.

Homework Statement

1. A rectangle is inscribed in a 6/8/10 cm right-angle triangle where two vertices (and one side) touch the hypotenuse side and the other two vertices each touching one of the other two sides.
Find the greatest area posssible.

2.A closed rectangular container with a square base is to have a volume of 2000cm[tex]^{3}[/tex]. It costs twice as much per cm[tex]^{2}[/tex] for the top and bottom as it does for the sides. Find the dimensions of least cost.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one, I made the hypotenuse the base of the triangle. I then worked out the height of the triangle using trig (height = 4.8cm)
I then used the equivalent triangles theory to state that the base: height ratio of the 6/8/10 triangle is 25:12 (10:4.8), therefore the same ratio would apply for the triangle made within by the rectangle, at the top of the large triangle (hope that's clear!).
i.e. If we take the height of the smaller inner triangle to be h and the base b, then the ratio of b:h is 25:12, making b=25h/12. This is one side of the rectangle.
The height of the rectangle is 4.8-h, making the area b*(4.8-h) = 25h/12(4.8-h)
f(h) = 10h - 25h[tex]^{2}[/tex]/12
f'(h) = 10 - 25h/6
putting f'(h) to 0, we get h=2.4, making b=5 and the area 24cm[tex]^{2}[/tex].
Now assuming this is correct, I was curiously wondering if there's any other way of doing this. I justa sort of madea this uppa as I went.
I started to do this by setting the right triangle on a coordinate system so that the 8 cm side was on the x- axis: so hypotenuse is a line with slope 6/8= 3/4, so the sides of the rectangle are lines with slope -4/3, ... until I read through your solution! It is much simpler to do the problem with similar triangles, but I think my method is just slightly different from yours. Again, imagine the triangle with the 8 cm side horizontal and 6 cm side vertical. Let h be the length of the side of the rectangle perpendicular to the hypotenus and let b be the length of the side of the rectangle in the hypotenuse. Also let x be the length of the hypotenuse above the rectangle (above b) and let y be the length of the hypotenuse below the rectangle (below b). You are correct that the triangles formed at each end are similar to the original triangle and so we have h/x= 8/6 or x= (3/4)h. Also h/y= 6/8 and so y= (4/3)h. Since x+ y+ b= 10, (3/4)h+ (4/3)h+ b= 10 giving b= 10- (25/12)h. That area is hb= 10h- (25/12)h2 The derivative of that is 10- (25/6)h so h= 60/25= 12/5= 2.4 cm. Then b= 10- (25/12)(12/5)= 5 cm. However I feel I should point out that 5(2.4)= 12 square cm, not 24! Indeed, the entire triangle has area 24 square cm. so you certainly could not fit such a rectangle in the triangle.

2. base of box = x, height = h.
Volume of box = x[tex]^{2}[/tex]h = 2000, h = 2000/[tex]x^{2}[/tex]
Surface area of box = 2x[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 4xh
SA = 2x[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 4x.2000/[tex]x^{2}[/tex] = 2x[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 8000/x
f'(SA) = 4x - 8000/[tex]x^{2}[/tex] = 0
4[tex]x^{3}[/tex] - 8000 = 0
[tex]x^{3}[/tex] = 2000
x = 12.6, which means h also = 12.6
This is correct in every aspect except it ignores the extra bit of the cost of the box sides/base. Where/how do I bring that info into the equation?
The sides of the box have area xz and there are 4 of them: total area 4xz. The top and bottom of the box have area x2: total area 2x2. Suppose the sides cost "a" per square cm. Then they cost a total of 4axz. The top and bottom cost twice that: 2a per square cm and so a total of 4ax2. The total cost is 4axz+ 4ax2 and that is what you must minimize. You should find that the "a" does not appear in the final answer. (And x is not 12.6. As you would guess, since the bottom and top cost more than the sides, the "cheapest" box has more sides, less to and bottom.)

D'oh!
I meant 12cm[tex]^{2}[/tex] not 24. thanks for spotting that error.
And thanks for the advice on Q2.

Okay. Here's what I got for the box question:
base of box = x, height = h.
Volume of box = x²h = 2000; therefore h = 2000/x²
Surface area of box = 2x² + 4xh

Assume the sides cost $a p/cm².
Then the total cost of the sides will be 4axh. Since the top and bottom cost twice as much (ie. 2a) than the sides, total cost for top & bottom = 2ax² + 2ax² = 4ax².

Total cost (TC) of box = 4axh + 4ax²
Since h = 2000/x², we can write this as:
TC = 4ax² + 8000a/x
We differentiate this for x, to find the maximum length of the base:
f’(x) = 8ax – 8000a/x²
put this to 0 and multiply both sides by x², we get:
8ax³ - 8000a = 0
8ax³ = 8000a
x³ = 1000
x = 10 cm
Volume of box = x²h = 2000
h = 2000/100
h = 20 cm

Dimensions of least cost of a 2000cm³ box where base is a square and top & bottom cost twice as much as the sides is to have the base a 10x10 cm square and the sides 20cm.

whew! did it, tg.

What is the concept of maximum area/volume problems?

The concept of maximum area/volume problems is to find the maximum possible area or volume of a shape given certain constraints. This can be applied to various real-life situations, such as optimizing the size of a garden or maximizing the storage capacity of a container.

What is the difference between maximum area and maximum volume?

Maximum area refers to the largest possible surface area that can be achieved for a given shape, while maximum volume refers to the largest possible amount of space that can be enclosed by the shape. In other words, maximum area is two-dimensional while maximum volume is three-dimensional.

What are some common strategies for solving maximum area/volume problems?

Some common strategies for solving maximum area/volume problems include using calculus, specifically derivatives and optimization techniques, and using geometric principles such as the Pythagorean theorem and the formula for the area/volume of common shapes.

Can maximum area/volume problems be applied to irregular shapes?

Yes, maximum area/volume problems can be applied to irregular shapes. In these cases, it may be necessary to use more advanced mathematical concepts or approximation methods to find the maximum area/volume.

What are some real-life applications of maximum area/volume problems?

Maximum area/volume problems can be applied to a wide range of real-life situations, including urban planning, architecture, engineering, and manufacturing. They can also be used in fields such as economics and biology to optimize resources and maximize efficiency.