Maximizing Dog Pen Area: Help Mrs. Star Find the Best Solution!

• Thread starter minase
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Star
In summary, the conversation was about a question on finding the maximum area for a dog pen using 600 feet of fencing, with one side being the back of a house. The solution involved using the formula for area, which resulted in the maximum area being 45,000 feet. The speaker also mentioned a friend who had a different answer and asked for clarification. The speaker's answer was deemed correct and their friend's logic was flawed.
minase
I took a test on my algerbra1 class and one of the question says the following.
Question
Mrs. Star wants to start a doggie day care. She plans to purchase 600feet of fencing to build a rectangular dog pen. Her plans also include using the back of the house as one side of pen. The area of the pen depends on how far away from the house the pen extends. Mrs. Star wants the Dogs to have the maximum area in which to play. Can you help her to find the maximum area?
And this was my answer
X represents the width of one side. Since in a rectangle two opposite sides are equal therefore the other side equal x. And Mrs. Star wants to purchase 600 feet of fencing and her plan was to include using the back of the house as one side of the pen. This means the width is always equal to 600-2x even the though the length may vary.
Area=length×width
A= (600-2x) (x)
A= 600x-2x^2
A= -2x^2+600x
A= -2(x^2 -300x)
-45000+A= -2(x^2-300x+2250)
-45000+A= -2(x-150) ^2
A= -2(x-150) ^ 2+45000
Therefore the maximum area Mrs. Star can build is 45,000 feet.
My friend here got a different answer I was wondering If I got it right. If I got it wrong can you please explain the steps how to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is absolutely correct. Your friend is flawed hin his/her logic.

I am unable to provide a definitive answer to your question as I do not have access to the specific details of the problem, such as the dimensions of the back of the house and the specific fencing materials being used. However, I can provide some general guidance on how to approach this type of problem.

Firstly, it is important to understand the question and what is being asked. In this case, Mrs. Star wants to maximize the area of the dog pen given a fixed amount of fencing (600 feet) and using the back of the house as one side of the pen. This means that the total perimeter of the pen will be 600 feet, with one side being the back of the house and the remaining three sides being made of fencing.

To find the maximum area, we need to use the formula for the area of a rectangle, which is length x width. We know that the width will be equal to the length of the back of the house (let's call this dimension "a") minus twice the width of one side of the pen (let's call this dimension "b"). Therefore, the width of the pen will be a - 2b.

Next, we need to express the length and width of the pen in terms of one variable. Since we are trying to maximize the area, it makes sense to express the length in terms of the width. This can be done using the fact that the total perimeter of the pen is 600 feet. So we can set up an equation:

Perimeter = 2(length + width) = 600
Substituting in our expressions for the length and width, we get:
2[(a - 2b) + b] = 600
Simplifying:
2(a - b) = 600
a - b = 300
a = 300 + b

Now, we can substitute this expression for "a" into our formula for the area of the pen:
Area = length x width
Area = (300 + b) x (a - 2b)
Area = (300 + b)(300 + b - 2b)
Area = (300 + b)(300 - b)
Area = 90000 - b^2

To find the maximum area, we can use the vertex form of a quadratic equation, which is:
y = a(x - h)^2 + k
where (h, k) is the vertex of the parab

What is the best way to maximize the dog pen area?

The best way to maximize the dog pen area is by using a rectangular or square shape, as these shapes provide the most usable space for the dog to move around in.

What materials should be used for the dog pen?

The materials used for the dog pen should be sturdy and durable, such as chain link fencing or welded wire mesh. It is important to also consider the weather conditions in your area, as materials like wood may deteriorate over time.

How can I ensure the safety of my dog in the pen?

To ensure the safety of your dog in the pen, make sure to carefully inspect the fencing for any sharp edges or loose wires. It is also important to make sure the pen is securely anchored to the ground to prevent any potential escape attempts.

What is the ideal size for a dog pen?

The ideal size for a dog pen depends on the size and breed of your dog. As a general rule, the pen should be at least 4 times the length of your dog and 2 times the width. For example, if your dog is 4 feet long and 2 feet wide, the pen should be at least 16 feet by 8 feet.

Are there any additional features that can be added to maximize the dog pen area?

Yes, there are several additional features that can be added to maximize the dog pen area. These include adding a roof for shade and protection from the elements, creating multiple levels for the dog to explore, and incorporating tunnels or obstacles for mental stimulation.