Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum base current of NPN

1. Sep 29, 2009 #1
    in BJT transistors how can I find the maximum base current?

Do we have maximum voltage limitation for base of transistor? consider a resistor between input and base of transistor.

I want to use a transistor that its input range is from 3 to 30 volts and its output is 5 volts. how can i do it with BJT NPN?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2009 #2
    Hi atwork-
    BJT npn's don't like high voltages (over a volt or so), but do like current. Depending on the hfe of the transistor, the base current can be anywhere from 1/100 to 1/10 of the collector current. A darlington transistor can also be used. What range of power supply voltages and output currents are you talking about?
    Bob S

4. Sep 29, 2009 #3

vk6kro

Science Advisor

I want to use a transistor that its input range is from 3 to 30 volts and its output is 5 volts. how can i do it with BJT NPN?

Are you looking for a 5 volt regulator?

The common one is the 7805. This accepts an input voltage in the range of 7 volts to 37 volts and gives a steady output of 5 volts. Maximum current if mounted on a heatsink is about 1 amp.
    These are available quite cheaply at electronic stores or online.
    It is easy to use. It just has 3 wires. Input, Ground and Output.
    It contains transistors but is really an integrated circuit.

BJT transistor data can be found on Google and they always list the maximum base current.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook