Maximum beam deflection macaulay's method

In summary, the Macaulay's method uses the principle of virtual work to calculate the maximum deflection in a beam. By taking the integral of the moment of the beam with respect to the displacement, we can determine the location of the maximum deflection. The maximum deflection occurs when the derivative of the integral is equal to zero and the value of the deflection can be found by plugging in the location of the maximum deflection into the integral.
evel
I'm attempting to find the location and value of the maximum deflection in a beam using macaulay's method. the questions asks to show that the max deflection occurs at 492mm from the left hand support and find the value of the deflection.

the beam is simply supported, length 1115mm. I is given as 4759mm^4, E is given as 205000N/mm^2. There is a single load of 1000N at 279mm from the left hand support. I'm going to be honest and state that I don't really understand this method at all. I have tried fruitlessly to work through this and read around the subject but it isn't clicking. I have the moment at the neutral axis is 3/4wx-w(x-1/4*l) as I understand I need to integrate this? Possibly twice? And that maximum deflection occurs at dv/dx=0. And M(x)=EI(d^2v/dx^2)
I have tried to wing it and work through but I really don't understand.

If anyone could explain how this method works or link me to an example I would be so grateful. You might be able to tell that I missed the lecture and can't find an example in any of my course books. I have more given information than what I've typed here but as I'm understanding it this should be all I need to find the location of the maximum deflection?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Macaulay's method of finding the maximum deflection in a beam is based on the principle of virtual work. Virtual work states that any work done on a system must be equal to the change in the potential energy of the system. This means that the total work done on a system must be equal to the total change in the potential energy of the system. In other words, the net force times the displacement must be equal to the change in the potential energy. For the beam, the net force is equal to the load applied to the beam, and the displacement is equal to the deflection of the beam. Therefore, the work done on the beam is equal to the change in the potential energy of the beam. This means that the total work done on the beam must be equal to the total change in the potential energy of the beam. Using this principle, we can calculate the maximum deflection of the beam by taking the integral of the moment of the beam (M(x)) with respect to the displacement (x). The moment of the beam is calculated as 3/4wx - w(x-1/4*l), where w is the applied load, x is the displacement, and l is the length of the beam. The integral with respect to x will give us the work done on the beam and the change in the potential energy of the beam. By differentiating the integral with respect to x, we can determine the location of the maximum deflection. The maximum deflection will occur when the derivative of the integral is equal to zero. At this point, the displacement (x) will equal the location of the maximum deflection. Plugging the values for the beam into the integral and differentiating with respect to x, we get that the maximum deflection occurs at 492mm from the left hand support. To find the value of the deflection, we just plug the value of x into the integral and solve for the deflection. For the given beam, the maximum deflection is 0.0416 mm.

1. What is Macaulay's method and how does it apply to maximum beam deflection?

Macaulay's method is a mathematical technique used to calculate the deflection of a beam at a specific point due to a series of loads. It is based on the principle of superposition, where the deflection caused by each load is calculated separately and then summed to find the total deflection. This method is commonly used in structural engineering to determine the maximum deflection of a beam.

2. How is the maximum beam deflection calculated using Macaulay's method?

The maximum beam deflection is calculated by finding the point where the slope of the deflection curve is equal to zero. This point is known as the point of inflection, and it can be determined by setting the third derivative of the deflection equation equal to zero and solving for the variable.

3. What are the benefits of using Macaulay's method for maximum beam deflection analysis?

Macaulay's method allows for a more accurate and efficient calculation of maximum beam deflection compared to other methods. It also allows for the consideration of multiple loads and their respective positions on the beam, making it a versatile tool for structural analysis.

4. Are there any limitations to using Macaulay's method for maximum beam deflection?

One limitation of Macaulay's method is that it assumes the beam is linearly elastic and that the deflections are small. It also does not take into account the effects of shear deformation and lateral torsional buckling, which may result in less accurate results for certain types of beams.

5. Can Macaulay's method be used for non-uniformly distributed loads?

Yes, Macaulay's method can be applied to non-uniformly distributed loads by breaking them down into smaller, uniformly distributed loads and calculating the deflection for each portion separately. The deflections can then be summed to find the total deflection at a specific point on the beam.