Max Charge Capacity on a Spherical Body: Calculating the Limit

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum amount of charge that can be stored on a spherical body of a given radius. The formula for capacitance is mentioned and the possibility of using the breakdown voltage to determine the maximum electric field and subsequently the charge. The conversation ends with the realization that the necessary information was given in the problem and the solution is found.
El Hombre Invisible
Me again.

Is there a formula for the maximum amount of charge may be stored on a body (assume spherical) of radius r? I assume radius is the only factor, though mass is known also. I just don't remember seeing anything for this and can't find it in all my books for the life of me.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lets try ::
Capacitance:: C=[tex]4 \pi \epsilon r[/tex]
Q=CV
[tex]Q=4 \pi \epsilon r V[/tex]
Now V should be less than E0 Breakdown Voltage
so max can be
[tex]Q_{max} = 4 \pi \epsilon r E_0 [/tex]
Well I am not too sure abt above but its a try , if u can provide some other logic it will be welcomed

himanshu121 said:
Lets try ::
Capacitance:: C=[tex]4 \pi \epsilon r[/tex]
Q=CV
[tex]Q=4 \pi \epsilon r V[/tex]
Now V should be less than E0 Breakdown Voltage
so max can be
[tex]Q_{max} = 4 \pi \epsilon r E_0 [/tex]
Well I am not too sure abt above but its a try , if u can provide some other logic it will be welcomed
Dammit, sorry I was being dumb. I didn't notice we were given the electrical breakdown of air in the problem, so I know the maxmum electric field, I know the radius, and from this I can easily get the charge:

Q = [tex]4 \pi \epsilon r^2[/tex]E(r)

Apologies for wasting thine time, and thanks for posting back. I was pretty tired. :zzz: Take care.

1. What is the maximum charge capacity on a spherical body?

The maximum charge capacity on a spherical body is the highest amount of electric charge that can be stored on the surface of the sphere without causing it to break down or discharge.

2. How do you calculate the limit of the maximum charge capacity on a spherical body?

The limit of the maximum charge capacity on a spherical body can be calculated using the formula Q = 4πϵ₀R, where Q is the maximum charge capacity, π is the mathematical constant pi, ϵ₀ is the permittivity of free space, and R is the radius of the spherical body.

3. What factors affect the maximum charge capacity on a spherical body?

The maximum charge capacity on a spherical body is affected by several factors including the material of the sphere, its size and shape, the surrounding environment, and the presence of any other objects nearby that may cause electric field distortion.

4. Can the maximum charge capacity on a spherical body ever be exceeded?

No, the maximum charge capacity on a spherical body cannot be exceeded without causing the sphere to break down or discharge. This is due to the repulsive forces between like charges that will increase as more charge is added, preventing any further accumulation of charge.

5. How is the maximum charge capacity on a spherical body used in practical applications?

The concept of maximum charge capacity on a spherical body is important in the design and operation of high voltage equipment, such as capacitors and electrostatic generators. It helps engineers determine the safe operating limits and prevent damage to the equipment due to excessive charge buildup.