1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum compression of spring

1. Dec 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mass is initially held in place at the top of a spring. When it is let go, it falls and compresses a spring. What is the maximum compression of the spring.

2. Relevant equations

f=-kx

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the solution is to equate mg and kx to find x. However, it doesn't make sense when I try it using energy equations. If you set 1/2kx^2 to mgh (where h = x), then the answer you get for x is 2 times the answer you get doing it the proper way. Does anybody know why?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

I think you are confusing Force with Work.

The Work to compress the spring is ½kx² and the PE from x=0 is as you expect mgx.

But work is the ∫F⋅x dx and the F is a function of x and is equal to -kx.

When you evaluate that you get Wx = ½kx² = PE = m*g*x

If you wanted to properly use the ½kx² then take the derivative at the point x which happily is kx. The PE as a derivative of x is simply m*g.

And look at that x = mg/k

4. Dec 7, 2008 #3
    Hi thanks for the reply.
    You said that

Wx = ½kx² = PE = m*g*x

Why can't you just solve for x in this step? That's what I've been wondering all along?

5. Dec 7, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Because the force varies along the path as a function of x. And work is the integral of the dot product of F and X. And what you are looking at in the ½kx² is the average force across the distance. (1/2*kx)*x = ½kx²

If you look at the curve, the force is a straight line slope of k in x. And the area is 1/2 base*height which represents the area of the "Average Force" across the distance x and that is what equates to the change in potential energy.

If the Force had been k*h across the whole range of x, then that would equal m*g*h.

6. Dec 7, 2008 #5
    LP, the problem setup doesn't specify the initial condition of the spring. Assuming the spring is neither compressed nor extended, the equilibrium position of the mass plus sping is -mg/k. The displacement at maxium compression is an additional -mg/k.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?