Optimizing Current Intensity: Connecting Cells in Series and Parallel

In summary, it appears that the 18 x 4 configuration is the best one for maximizing the current intensity delivered to the load.
Nader AbdlGhani

Homework Statement

How can I get the maximum Current Intensity by connecting 72 cells to a 3 Ohm resistor each cell has a potential difference of 1.5 Volt and internal resistance of 1 Ohm

Please don't tell me to connect them all in parallel or all in series as in parallel the potential difference will be low (1.5 Volt) and the resulted current intensity will be approximately 0.49 Amperes and in series the internal resistance will be huge (72 Ohms) and the resulted current intensity will be approximately 1.44 Amperes2. The attempt at a solution
I've tried to connect 18 cells in series and therefore I will have 4 packs of batteries , let's call each pack a battery , so each "battery" has potential difference of 27 Volts and resistance of 18 Ohms , then I connected the 4 batteries in parallel with each other and in series with the resistor , the resulted current intensity was exactly 3.6 Amperes , and that was the best that I can do , anyone have any other better configuration ? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Nader, welcome to PF :smile: !

You are posting in the homework section of PF, so I propose you write an expression for the fraction of the energy a voltage source with an internal resistance delivers to an external load, and try to work that around to a function of the ratio external/internal resistance. My guess is the optimum ratio is 1 :smile:

[edit] you seem to limit yourself to choices like 72 x 1, 36 x 2, 18 x 4, 9 x 8. Would it be worth while to look into configurations where you create 3 V building blocks of 2 parallel cells and one in series with those ?

Last edited:
Likes Nader AbdlGhani
BvU said:
Hello Nader, welcome to PF :smile: !

You are posting in the homework section of PF, so I propose you write an expression for the fraction of the energy a voltage source with an internal resistance delivers to an external load, and try to work that around to a function of the ratio external/internal resistance. My guess is the optimum ratio is 1 :smile:

[edit] you seem to limit yourself to choices like 72 x 1, 36 x 2, 18 x 4, 9 x 8. Would it be worth while to look into configurations where you create 3 V building blocks of 2 parallel cells and one in series with those ?
Thanks for your reply ,Firstly, I'm sorry I don't know what or how to make an expression for the fraction of the energy a voltage source with an internal resistance delivers to an external load , perhaps you can teach me how ,Secondary, fortunately you opened my eyes on a very good point which is , to obtain the maximum current the internal resistance must be equal to the external resistance thus their ratio equals 1 , Thirdly , I've tried doing that configuration that you mentioned , but still , the results aren't greater than 3.6 Amperes

What I suggested wasn't useful:
The fraction is simply ## I^2 R_{\rm load} / I^2 \left ( R_i + R_{\rm load} \right ) ##
but you want to maximize the current in the load

And the next idea
$$ I = {V\over R_i + R_{\rm load} } \quad \Rightarrow \quad P_{\rm load} = I^2 R_{\rm load} = ...$$ and then search for a maximum by differentiation with respect to ##R_{\rm load} ## isn't useful either, because you can vary ##R_i## and not ##R_{\rm load} ## (it does yield ## R_{\rm load} = R_i ## I think). And varying ##R_i## also changes V.

With my funny mix you can get 12 V with ##R_i = 1 \Omega## or 24 V with ##R_i = 4 \Omega## , ##\ \ ## but 12 V is too low and ##4 \Omega## too high.

So the 18 x 4 is the best I can make of this too.

---

Likes Nader AbdlGhani
BvU said:
What I suggested wasn't useful:
The fraction is simply ## I^2 R_{\rm load} / I^2 \left ( R_i + R_{\rm load} \right ) ##
but you want to maximize the current in the load

And the next idea
$$ I = {V\over R_i + R_{\rm load} } \quad \Rightarrow \quad P_{\rm load} = I^2 R_{\rm load} = ...$$ and then search for a maximum by differentiation with respect to ##R_{\rm load} ## isn't useful either, because you can vary ##R_i## and not ##R_{\rm load} ## (it does yield ## R_{\rm load} = R_i ## I think). And varying ##R_i## also changes V.

With my funny mix you can get 12 V with ##R_i = 1 \Omega## or 24 V with ##R_i = 4 \Omega## , ##\ \ ## but 12 V is too low and ##4 \Omega## too high.

So the 18 x 4 is the best I can make of this too.

---
I greatly appreciate all of your help , currently I'm sticking to my answer which is (18x4) configuration , but I'm still thinking there is another better configuration , my senior teacher should see my answer on the next Friday so I got good time to find better solution if there is so . Thanks for your help again :D

You've probably found that (12x6) also gives 3.6A.

Likes Nader AbdlGhani
insightful said:
You've probably found that (12x6) also gives 3.6A.
Yup ! :D

Finally guys ! , our solution is right :D ,Thanks a lot !

What is maximum current intensity?

Maximum current intensity refers to the maximum amount of electric current that can flow through a circuit or conductor before it becomes overloaded or damaged.

How is maximum current intensity measured?

Maximum current intensity is measured in units of amperes (A) using an ammeter. It can also be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that current equals voltage divided by resistance.

Why is it important to know the maximum current intensity?

Knowing the maximum current intensity is important for ensuring the safety and efficiency of electrical systems. It helps prevent overloading and potential hazards, such as fires or electrocution.

What factors affect the maximum current intensity?

The maximum current intensity is affected by the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the circuit or conductor, and the type of material the conductor is made of. Temperature and length of the conductor can also impact the maximum current intensity.

How can the maximum current intensity be increased?

The maximum current intensity can be increased by increasing the voltage of the power source, decreasing the resistance in the circuit or conductor, or using a larger or more conductive material for the conductor. However, these changes should only be made within the safe limits of the electrical system and following proper safety protocols.