1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum elevation

1. Oct 13, 2005 #1
    This problem seems simple but I'm just not getting the correct answer, please help thank you.

A test rocket is fired straigt up from rest with a net accerleration of 20m/s^2. After 4 seconds the motor turns off, but the rocket continues to coast upward. What maximum elevation does the rocket reach?

This is what I get

X_0=0, a=20m/s^2, t=4 s

1/2(20m/s^2)(4 s)^2=160m (the correct answer is 487m :cry: )

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2005 #2

hotvette

Homework Helper

You need to think of it as 2 separate problems.

1. Rocket under the stated acceleration

2. Rocket after acceleration stops.

The final conditions of problem 1 (i.e. height and velocity) are the initial conditions for problem 2.

4. Oct 13, 2005 #3
    Problem 1
    x=160m and v=80m/s

Problem 2
    x_0=160m, v_0=80m/s, a=?
    if it stopped accelerating, I would assume that the acceleration would be decreasing as the rocket coasted upward. Would this be correct?

5. Oct 13, 2005 #4

hotvette

Homework Helper

So far, so good. You have the initial conditions for problem #2. Now, you need the equation of motion (in the vertical direction) for a projectile with initial conditions of distance and velocity. You must have been given such an equation or taught how to derive it using F=ma.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  6. Oct 14, 2005 #5
    Thank you. This is what I got

160m-[0-(80m/s)^2/2(9.8m/s^2)]=486.5m

Also, I had another question about horizontal projectile motion.
    Why does the distance of two packages steadily increase as they fall out of a plane going at constant speed.

I thought the distance would remain constant between the two packages as they fall when air friction is negligible. I can't make sense of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?