Calculating the maximum force of object 1 without prefix

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving the maximum force of object 1. The problem includes various constraints and unknown values, such as the force of the first object and the distance between the two objects. The individual seeking help attempted to solve the problem by considering moments and initially thought the solution was 11 thousand N, but later did additional calculations and arrived at x=9000 and y=2. They are now looking for someone to explain the maximum value of x and why it is the solution.
Marcos Leo
Hi,

I am busy now for a couple of days with a physics problem. I am not really into physics, so I hope you can help me out. Its about the maximum force of an object (object 1 in this case). I included an illustration.

Homework Statement

* The left and right pivot have an max of ten thousand N (upwards);
* The force of the second object is nine thousand N (downwards);
* The force of the first object is unknown (downwards)

Furthermore:

* Distances in meters are given, but ‘y’ is unknown;
* Also the first object has an fixed position, while the second can be moved, but has to be rightsided and within 20m of object one.

I am looking for the maximum force x in N of object 1.
Force_on_Object.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I studied some basics physics about ‘moments’ and know that clockwise = anticlockwise. From that perspective I first thought that maybe the simple solution was that the max of x is the maximum of the left and right pivot – the force of object 2, so 11 thousand N.

But that’s maybe too simple. So, I did some additional calculations, where I included the widths and distances into the calculations, and my final answer was that x=9000 and y=2. But, the more I think about this, how more I become confused.

Could someone help me out on this ‘puzzle’ and explain what the maximum of x is, and more importantly, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Marcos Leo said:
Hi,

I am busy now for a couple of days with a physics problem. I am not really into physics, so I hope you can help me out. Its about the maximum force of an object (object 1 in this case). I included an illustration.

Homework Statement

* The left and right pivot have an max of ten thousand N (upwards);
* The force of the second object is nine thousand N (downwards);
* The force of the first object is unknown (downwards)

Furthermore:

* Distances in meters are given, but ‘y’ is unknown;
* Also the first object has an fixed position, while the second can be moved, but has to be rightsided and within 20m of object one.

I am looking for the maximum force x in N of object 1.
View attachment 211482

The Attempt at a Solution

I studied some basics physics about ‘moments’ and know that clockwise = anticlockwise. From that perspective I first thought that maybe the simple solution was that the max of x is the maximum of the left and right pivot – the force of object 2, so 11 thousand N.

But that’s maybe too simple. So, I did some additional calculations, where I included the widths and distances into the calculations, and my final answer was that x=9000 and y=2. But, the more I think about this, how more I become confused.

Could someone help me out on this ‘puzzle’ and explain what the maximum of x is, and more importantly, why?
please show the details of your attempt using the distances.
Which point did you take as your axis? What moment did you calculate for each force about that axis?

What is the maximum force of an object?

The maximum force of an object is the greatest amount of force that it can withstand before breaking or deforming.

How is the maximum force of an object determined?

The maximum force of an object is typically determined through experiments and calculations, taking into account factors such as material strength, dimensions, and external forces.

Can the maximum force of an object be increased?

Yes, the maximum force of an object can be increased by using stronger materials, adjusting its dimensions, or reinforcing its structure.

What happens if an object is subjected to a force greater than its maximum force?

If an object is subjected to a force greater than its maximum force, it may break or deform permanently, depending on its material properties.

Are there different types of maximum force for different types of objects?

Yes, the maximum force of an object can vary depending on its material composition, shape, and purpose. For example, a bridge will have a different maximum force than a paperclip.