Max Height: Finding Initial Velocity & Mass

In summary, the conversation involves solving three physics problems, specifically finding the maximum height of a thrown ball, determining the speed of a car during a panic stop, and finding the mass of a meter stick. Various hints and equations are provided to guide the problem solving process.
NMW
maximum height??

1) A ball is thrown vertically upward and is caught by the thrower after 2.00s. find a) initial velocity b) the maximum height it reaches?
a) initial velocity obviously = o, but i have no idea how to find max. height?

2) the driver of a 600kg sports car, heading directly for a railroad crossing 250m away, applies the brakes i a panic stop. the car is moving at 40m/s, and the brakes can supply a friction force of 1200N. a) how fast is the car moving when it reaches the crossing?

- i tried finding the change in time for this, thinking i could then find displacement from that, but it ended up as 2.5hours!
any help appreciated!

3) a metre-stick is found to balance at the 29.7cm mark when placed on a fulcrum, when a 50g mass is attached at the 10cm mark the fulcrum must be moved to the 39.2 cm mark for balance. what is the mass of the meter stick?

- just plain stuck on this, tried about 3 different ways of attempting the question, but couldn't find one that suited! again, any help appreciated!

:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint on #1: max/min ==> derivative...

Also, your book (or many online resources) may give a formula for the max. height and/or range. I have found that it isn't a good idea to use this. I don't really know why it's put there, but it's definitely better to optimize it using hotvette's suggestion.

Alex

the derivative of...? do i not need to have a range or something to get that?? sorry... I am lost

The equation of motion of a projectile is an equation where the vertical travel (y) is a function of angle and time (t) or angle and horizontal distance (x). Thinking in mathematical terms, a function with a max or min can be found by differentiating the equation with respect to the independent variable, setting the equation equal to zero and solving for the independent variable. Example. If [itex]y = 3x^2 + 4x + 1[/itex], how would you find [itex]y_{max}[/itex]?

What you need is an equation for y as a function of t. Do you have one?

HINT 1: Use energy conservation.

HINT 2: Use Force = mass times acceleration to find acceleration; use calculated acceleration to determine the speed after traveling a given distance.

HINT 3: Sum of torques = 0

For 1), if the initial velocity was 0 the ball wouldn't go anywhere...

Distance = V(initial) * T - .5 g T^2

in reference to # 1

think about it like this. since there are no air resistances, you know that the time it takes to go up, say v_uo is equal to the time it takes to come down, say v_down, and that their sum is 2.00s. so from that u know that the half-trip is 1.00s. also, v_0 is not = zero, rather, V_final, the final velocity when the ball reaches its peak is = zero. from that, you should be able to get the initial velocity using v_final = v_initial + accel. x time, where v_final = 0, accel is = gravity, and time = 1.00 s. then with v_final, accel., and the time you can get the max height using delta_y = v_initial x t + (1/2 x accel. x time^2), where v_initial is zero (the velocity at the peak height), and t = 1.00s. :tongue2:

Question 1 only

Skippy said:
For 1), if the initial velocity was 0 the ball wouldn't go anywhere...

Distance = V(initial) * T - .5 g T^2

Hints:
1. Listen to Skippy.
2. The motion is symetrical. So it takes half the time to go up and half the time to come down.
3. Somewhere (book, online) you can find the velocity of any object at the top of its tragectory in freefall motion. It is always true.
4. Solve only for the down motion (because of hint 2) final and intial velocity are the same. (Don't forget to take only the time it takes to come down.

With hints 2 and 3 hint #1 becomes trivial and the problem is easy.

Post a solution with an explanation and i'll help with problem 2. (but let's get the first on before we bite more than we can swallow.)

Last edited:
seeing as i am only calculating half of the motion, do i use the time as 1.00s or 2.00s??

curly_ebhc said:
Hints:
1. Listen to Skippy.
2. The motion is symetrical. So it takes half the time to go up and half the time to come down.
3. Somewhere (book, online) you can find the velocity of any object at the top of its tragectory in freefall motion. It is always true.
4. Solve only for the down motion (because of hint 2) final and intial velocity are the same. (Don't forget to take only the time it takes to come down.

With hints 2 and 3 hint #1 becomes trivial and the problem is easy.

Post a solution with an explanation and i'll help with problem 2. (but let's get the first on before we bite more than we can swallow.)

ok... i think i have got it... i followed what you and skippy said to do, used Distance= v(initial)t-.5gt^2 with v(initial) as 9.8 and time as 1.00s... i came up with 4.9m. this was also true of a different equation that i found online, similar idea and same answer... YAY! thanks for that!

any suggestions for 3? I've tried heaps of ways, but can't find an actual uniform way to do it with a set formula or anything, i think I am just making it up!

thanks in advance!

"A metre-stick is found to balance at the 29.7cm mark when placed on a fulcrum. When a 50g mass is attached at the 10cm mark the fulcrum must be moved to the 39.2 cm mark for balance."

Hey, is there something wrong with the question? When the 50g mass is attached, all the moments about the fulcrum (at 39.2 cm mark) seem to be in one direction only. This does not seem to agree with the Principle of Moments...

What is the formula for finding maximum height?

The formula for finding maximum height is h = (v02sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How do you find the initial velocity?

To find the initial velocity, you can rearrange the formula for maximum height to solve for v0. It becomes v0 = √(2gh/sin2θ), where h is the maximum height, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the launch angle.

What is the role of mass in calculating maximum height?

The mass of the object does not directly affect the maximum height. However, it does play a role in determining the initial velocity, which in turn affects the maximum height. A heavier object will require a greater initial velocity to reach the same maximum height as a lighter object.

Can you determine the maximum height without knowing the initial velocity?

No, the initial velocity is a necessary component in the formula for maximum height. Without it, the calculation cannot be completed. However, if the initial velocity is known, the maximum height can be calculated using the formula h = (v02sin2θ)/2g.

How does the launch angle affect the maximum height?

The launch angle is a crucial factor in determining the maximum height. The maximum height will occur when the launch angle is 90 degrees, or when the object is launched straight up. As the launch angle decreases, the maximum height will also decrease. This is because a lower angle will result in a shorter horizontal distance traveled, and thus a lower maximum height.