1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum Induced Emf

1. Nov 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A flat loop of wire of area 15.7 cm2 and 1.09 turns is perpendicular to a magnetic field whose magnitude decays in time according to B = 0.5 e−t/7. What is the maximum induced emf? Answer in units of V.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\epsilon=[/tex] [tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\Phi[/tex]B/[tex]\Delta[/tex]t

[tex]\epsilon=[/tex] - (dB/dt) N A Cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have:

A = 15.7 X 10-4 m2

N = 1.09 turns

B = 0.5 e-t/7

Maximum [tex]\epsilon[/tex] = E max. = ??

I found E max. = - ( 1.09) * ( 15.7 X 10-4 ) * Cos(0) * d(0.5 e-t/7)/dt

= 1.22 X 10-4 e-t/7

Then i found the first deravative of induced emf in terms of time & got another equation.
    Then i made that equation equal to zero to find value of time for max. [tex]\epsilon[/tex].
    But there is no such value for time. Calculator says false everytime which is true.

I tried to take the second deravative and equalize to zero and again same paroblem occured.

Soooo any help will be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So what is the maximum value of E? More to the point, at what time is the above expression a maximum and what is that maximum value?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  4. Nov 27, 2009 #3
    Wow , thx kuruman for the help , it is right , when time is zero i get a maximum emf E.

but i have a question ,,, can i find the maximum by deravatives and how and when to use ???

thx in advance for all who are helping us ... ^^

5. Nov 27, 2009 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You cannot find the maximum by derivatives because the exponential function does not a maximum or minimum. It is either monotonically decreasing or increasing.

6. Nov 28, 2009 #5
    thanks kuruman for eplanation. I understood now why i couldn't find a maximum value when deriving the equation. thanks a lot man .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook