Max Induced Emf: Homework Statement & Equations

In summary, a flat loop of wire with an area of 15.7 cm2 and 1.09 turns is placed perpendicular to a magnetic field that decreases over time according to B = 0.5 e-t/7. The maximum induced emf can be found by setting time to 0, resulting in a maximum value of 1.22 X 10-4 V. The use of derivatives to find the maximum is not applicable in this scenario due to the nature of the exponential function.
Fazza3_uae

Homework Statement

A flat loop of wire of area 15.7 cm2 and 1.09 turns is perpendicular to a magnetic field whose magnitude decays in time according to B = 0.5 e−t/7. What is the maximum induced emf? Answer in units of V.

Homework Equations

[tex]\epsilon=[/tex] [tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\Phi[/tex]B/[tex]\Delta[/tex]t

[tex]\epsilon=[/tex] - (dB/dt) N A Cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have:

A = 15.7 X 10-4 m2

N = 1.09 turns

B = 0.5 e-t/7

Maximum [tex]\epsilon[/tex] = E max. = ??

I found E max. = - ( 1.09) * ( 15.7 X 10-4 ) * Cos(0) * d(0.5 e-t/7)/dt

= 1.22 X 10-4 e-t/7

Then i found the first deravative of induced emf in terms of time & got another equation.
Then i made that equation equal to zero to find value of time for max. [tex]\epsilon[/tex].
But there is no such value for time. Calculator says false everytime which is true.

I tried to take the second deravative and equalize to zero and again same paroblem occured.

Soooo any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fazza3_uae said:
I found E max. = - ( 1.09) * ( 15.7 X 10-4 ) * Cos(0) * d(0.5 e-t/7)/dt

= 1.22 X 10-4 e-t/7
So what is the maximum value of E? More to the point, at what time is the above expression a maximum and what is that maximum value?

Last edited:
Wow , thanks kuruman for the help , it is right , when time is zero i get a maximum emf E.

but i have a question ,,, can i find the maximum by deravatives and how and when to use ?

thx in advance for all who are helping us ... ^^

You cannot find the maximum by derivatives because the exponential function does not a maximum or minimum. It is either monotonically decreasing or increasing.

thanks kuruman for eplanation. I understood now why i couldn't find a maximum value when deriving the equation. thanks a lot man .

What is Max Induced Emf?

Max Induced Emf (electromotive force) is the maximum amount of voltage that can be induced in a conductor by a changing magnetic field. It is also known as peak induced voltage.

How is Max Induced Emf calculated?

The equation for calculating Max Induced Emf is given by: Emax = -N*dΦ/dt, where Emax is the maximum induced voltage, N is the number of turns in the coil, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux.

What factors affect the value of Max Induced Emf?

The value of Max Induced Emf is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the strength of the magnetic field, and the rate of change of the magnetic field. It is also affected by the resistance of the conductor and the size and shape of the conductor.

How is Max Induced Emf used in practical applications?

Max Induced Emf is used in various applications such as generators, transformers, and motors. It is also used in devices such as microphones and speakers, where it converts mechanical energy into electrical energy.

What is the difference between Max Induced Emf and Average Induced Emf?

The main difference between Max Induced Emf and Average Induced Emf is that Max Induced Emf is the maximum value of induced voltage at any point in time, while Average Induced Emf is the average value of induced voltage over a period of time.