Max Input Signal: 0.3V for 1.5mA Collector Current

In summary, the homework statement says that the signal voltage should be between 0.3 and 1.6 volts in order to generate a collector current of 1.5 milliamps.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-10-9_13-17-22.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, the input circuit is also biased as the transistor to work in the active region and without the biasing of the input circuit , the input circuit may get reversed biased during the negative half cycle of the signal voltage. Due to this bias, there should be some base current say## I_{bB}##.The minimum value of ##I_{bB}## should be such that (taking the maximum current due to the signal voltage in positive half cycle as ##I_{signal}## ) ##I_{signal} + I_{bB} = 30~μA## and in the negative half cycle ##-I_{signal} + I_{bB} = 0## .
This gives ##I_{bB} = I_{signal} = 15μA##
Similarly, the collector current due to the signal voltage alone is 1.5 mA.

Now, it is given that 1V change in base voltage,i.e. 1V of signal voltage gives 5 mA of collector current.
So, for giving 1.5 mA of collector current, the signal voltage should be ##\frac{1.5} 5 = 0.3~V##.
Is this correct?
Why does the question say that ##V_{BE}## gets changed by 1V.
Isn't ##V_{BE}## always 0.7V for sillicon transistor?

Is it necessary that I shoud specify input signal into voltage, not current?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pushoam said:
Why does the question say that VBEVBEV_{BE} gets changed by 1V.
Isn't VBEVBEV_{BE} always 0.7V for sillicon transistor?
No, not in small signal analysis. In this case,
a linear approximation of the exponential diode equation is used, which gives id=kVd.
(This approximation holds as long as the signal is small.)

Pushoam said:
So, for giving 1.5 mA of collector current, the signal voltage should be 1.55=0.3 V1.55=0.3 V\frac{1.5} 5 = 0.3~V.
Is this correct?
What about this?
My book says that the answer is 0.6V.

I think they meant the peak input voltage. So the answer makes no sense since 0.6V < 1V knee.
And if they meant rms input voltage that = √2(0.6) = 0.85V which is still below the knee.

So assuming the former case I think they meant the answer to be 1.6V (or 0.6V above the knee) since that would give a dc collector current of (1.6 - 1.0) * 5mA/V = 12V/4K = 3mA.
Why do you think you were given beta BTW?

Last edited:

1. What does "Max Input Signal: 0.3V" mean in this context?

The "Max Input Signal: 0.3V" refers to the maximum voltage that can be applied to the input of a circuit or device without causing damage or exceeding the expected performance. In this case, it is 0.3V.

2. What is the significance of "1.5mA Collector Current" in this specification?

The "1.5mA Collector Current" refers to the maximum amount of current that can be drawn by the collector of a transistor in this circuit. It is an important specification to consider in order to prevent overheating and damage to the device.

3. Why is it important to adhere to the specified input signal and collector current values?

Adhering to the specified input signal and collector current values is important because going above them can result in damage to the device or inaccurate results. It is important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines to ensure the proper functioning and longevity of the device.

4. Can the max input signal and collector current values be exceeded?

Exceeding the specified max input signal and collector current values can potentially damage the device or lead to inaccurate results. It is important to stay within the specified range for optimal performance and safety.

5. How can I calculate the max input signal and collector current for a different circuit?

The max input signal and collector current values can vary for different circuits and devices. It is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications or use relevant formulas to calculate these values for a specific circuit or device.