1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum Likelihood Estimation

1. Apr 18, 2009 #1
    [tex]
    L(x_1,x_2,...,x_n;\theta)=\Pi _{i=1}^n (\frac{\theta}{2})^x (1-\frac{\theta}{2})^{1-x} = (\frac{\theta}{2})^{\Sigma^n_{i=1}x_i}(1-frac{\theta}{2})^{n-\Sigma^n_{i=1}x_i}
    [/tex]

Correct so far if [tex]f(x) = (\frac{\theta}{2})^x (1-\frac{\theta}{2})^{1-x} [/tex]?

[tex]
    lnL(x_1,x_2,...,x_n;\theta) = \Sigma^n_{i=1} x_i ln(\frac{\theta}{2}) + (n-\Sigma_{i=1}x_i) ln(\frac{1}{2 - \theta})
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \frac{d lnL}{d \theta}(x_1,x_2,...,x_n;\theta) = Sigma^n_{i=1}x_i \cdot \frac{1}{\theta - }(n-\Sigma^n_{i=1}x_i) \frac{1}{2-\theta}
    [/tex]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2009 #2
    Mostly right, with some typos.

[tex]
    \ln L(x_1,x_2,...,x_n;\theta) = \Sigma_{i} x_i \ln(\frac{\theta}{2}) + (n-\Sigma_{i}x_i) \ln(\frac{2 - \theta}{2})
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \frac{d\ln L}{d \theta}(x_1,x_2,...,x_n;\theta) =\frac{\Sigma_{i}x_i}{\theta}\,
    -\,\frac{n-\Sigma_{i}x_i}{2-\theta}
    [/tex]

Now combine into a single fraction, set equal to zero, and solve for theta.

4. Apr 18, 2009 #3
    I'll try.

5. Apr 18, 2009 #4
    It worked! Great stuff, thanks!

[tex]
    \hat{\theta}=\frac{2}{n}\Sigma^n_{i=1}X_i
    [/tex]

Now, [tex]E(\hat{\theta}) = \theta[/tex] and [tex]Var(\hat{\theta})=\frac{2 \theta}{n}(1-\frac{\theta}{2})[/tex].

Find a 95% confidence interval for [tex]\theta[/tex] by using that [tex]\frac{\hat{\theta} - \theta}{\sqrt{\frac{2 \hat{\theta}}{n}(1-\frac{\hat{\theta}}{2})}}[/tex]

Can I use this formula?

244qs9g.jpg

With n=100 and [tex]\Sigma^n_{i=1}X_i = 32[/tex] I get

[tex]\hat{\theta}=0.64[/tex], but using the formula above gives doesn't give me the correct interval, which is [0.46, 0.82]

Edit: I get the right interval when I don't include the [tex]\sqrt{n}[/tex] in the formula above. Is the formula wrong?

6. Apr 18, 2009 #5
    You used the wrong formula. You have to derive your own confidence interval formula.

I assume you meant to say that [tex]\frac{\hat{\theta} - \theta}{\sqrt{\frac{2 \hat{\theta}}{n}(1-\frac{\hat{\theta}}{2})}}[/tex] is standard normal.

Then [tex]P(-1.96<\frac{\hat{\theta} - \theta}{\sqrt{\frac{2 \hat{\theta}}{n}(1-\frac{\hat{\theta}}{2})}} <1.96 )=0.95[/tex]

Now rearrange to get

[tex]P(\text{thing}<-\theta<\text{other thing})=0.95[/tex]

and then finally

[tex]P(-\text{thing}>\theta>-\text{other thing})=0.95[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook