Maximum Likelihood Estimator

Your Name]In summary, the question asks for the maximum likelihood estimator for the parameter t given a single observation X. The likelihood function is L(t)=6x/(t^3)*(t-x), and to find the maximum likelihood estimator, we take the log of the likelihood function and differentiate with respect to t, setting it equal to 0. Solving for t, we get t=3x/2 as the maximum likelihood estimator.
bitty

Homework Statement

An observation X has density function: f(x,/theta)=6x/(t^3)*(t-x) where t is a parameter: 0<x<t.

Given the single observation X, determine the maximum likelihood estimator for t.

Homework Equations

Included below

The Attempt at a Solution

For a sample size of n, the likelihood function is
L(t)=product[6x_i/(t^3)*(t-x_i)] from i=1 to n.
To maximize a product, we take the log L[t] and differentiate with respect to t and equate to 0.

d/dt [Log[t]=3/t+Sum[1/(t-x_i)] for i=1 to n.
However, I don't know how to solve 3/t+Sum[1/(t-x_i)]=0 for t since there is a t on the denominator in the sum. Is there a way to do this?

Or have I misinterpreted the question? Since the question says, "Given a single observation X" am I not supposed to take the product over n samples but rather set n=1 when finding my likelihood function L(t)=6x_i/(t^3)*(t-x_i?

Physics news on Phys.org

You are correct in your interpretation of the question. Since the question specifies a single observation X, you do not need to consider a sample size of n. Your likelihood function should be L(t)=6x/(t^3)*(t-x).

To find the maximum likelihood estimator for t, we can take the log of the likelihood function and differentiate with respect to t:

Log[L(t)]=Log[6x/(t^3)*(t-x)]
=Log[6x]-3Log[t]+Log[t-x]

Taking the derivative with respect to t and setting it equal to 0, we get:

d/dt [Log[L(t)]] = -3/t + 1/(t-x) = 0

Solving for t, we get:

3/t = 1/(t-x)
3(t-x) = t
3t - 3x = t
2t = 3x
t = 3x/2

Therefore, the maximum likelihood estimator for t is t=3x/2.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is a Maximum Likelihood Estimator (MLE)?

A Maximum Likelihood Estimator (MLE) is a statistical method used to estimate the parameters of a probability distribution by finding the values that maximize the likelihood of obtaining the observed data. In other words, the MLE is a technique for determining the most likely values of the unknown parameters based on the given data.

2. How is the Maximum Likelihood Estimator calculated?

The Maximum Likelihood Estimator is calculated by taking the derivative of the likelihood function with respect to the parameters of interest and setting it equal to zero. This results in a set of equations that can be solved to find the maximum likelihood estimates for the parameters.

3. What are the assumptions of Maximum Likelihood Estimation?

The assumptions of Maximum Likelihood Estimation include a random sample from the population, the probability distribution of the data is known, and the observations are independent and identically distributed.

4. What is the difference between MLE and Method of Moments?

The Method of Moments and Maximum Likelihood Estimation are both methods for estimating the parameters of a probability distribution. The main difference is that MLE uses the likelihood function to find the parameter estimates, while Method of Moments uses the moments of the data to estimate the parameters.

5. In what situations is Maximum Likelihood Estimation commonly used?

Maximum Likelihood Estimation is commonly used in situations where we want to estimate the parameters of a probability distribution based on a sample of data. It is widely used in various fields such as statistics, economics, biology, and engineering to name a few.