Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum Likelihood Fitting normalization (Bevington)

1. Oct 14, 2008 #1
    I'm posting this in this particular forum because, though this's a statistics question, my application is in high energy.

My question is regarding a problem in Bevington's book (Data Reduction and Error Analysis..., Page 193, Ex. 10.1), but I'll give a general description here...

Say you want to fit to a scattering distribution function: f = (a + b cos2 theta) using the likelihood method. cos[tex]\theta[/tex] ranging from -1 to 1, you would get a normalization integral, norm = 2(a + b/3). However, what goes into the actual code is the normalized fuction (a + b cos2 theta) / 2(a + b/3), so that the fitter is only sensitive to (a/b) and not a and b separately. So if you were asked to estimate a and b (as does Bevington's problem)...what do you do?

I am aware of the "extended" likelihood method. Is that applicable here? If so, how?

Thanks a bunch.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted