Maximum liklihood estimators again help

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum likelihood estimate (MLE) for a given probability function. The individual shares their attempt at solving the problem, including the steps of finding the likelihood function, taking its derivative, and setting it to 0 to find the maximum. The final MLE equation is derived as \theta = nk/{\sum_1^k 1-k}. The individual requests feedback on whether their approach is correct or not.
semidevil
I dotn know, I'm still lost on this whole MLE thing...but here is my attempt at some problems...please critique(just the concept is still bugging me).

find the MLE:

[tex] p_x(k;\theta) = \theta^k (1-\theta)^{1-k}, . k = 0, 1, 0 < \theta < 1 [/tex].

so here is what I did.

[tex] L(\theta) = \theta^{nk} ( 1- \theta)^{{\sum_1^n{n - k}} [/tex]

[tex] ln L(\theta) = nkln\theta + \sum_1^k 1-k * ln(1-\theta) [/tex]

now, take derivative

[tex] nk/\theta + \sum_1^k/{1-\theta} [/tex].

first of all, in geting the formula, is this right? I know I will need to leave it in terms of theta, but I don't know if even this is right??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
now, to find maximum, set the derivative to 0, so 0 = nk/\theta + \sum_1^k/{1-\theta} and then solve for theta\theta = nk/{\sum_1^k 1-k} so MLE = \theta = nk/{\sum_1^k 1-k} Please let me know if this is correct, or if I am just completely off track!

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at finding the MLE for this problem. Overall, your approach is correct, but there are a few minor mistakes that need to be addressed.

First, when taking the log likelihood, you need to use the entire expression for p_x(k; \theta), not just the exponent. So the correct expression for ln L(\theta) should be:

ln L(\theta) = kln\theta + (n-k)ln(1-\theta)

Also, when taking the derivative, you need to use the chain rule. So the correct derivative would be:

d/d\theta ln L(\theta) = (k/\theta) + ((n-k)/(1-\theta))(-1)

= k/\theta - (n-k)/(1-\theta)

= (k-n\theta)/(1-\theta)

Finally, to find the MLE, you need to set this derivative equal to 0 and solve for \theta. So you would have:

(k-n\theta)/(1-\theta) = 0

k-n\theta = 0

n\theta = k

\theta = k/n

Therefore, the MLE for this problem is \theta = k/n.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of MLE for you. Just remember to use the entire expression for p_x(k; \theta) when taking the log likelihood, and to use the chain rule when taking derivatives. Keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it!

1. What is a maximum likelihood estimator (MLE)?

A maximum likelihood estimator is a statistical method used to estimate the parameters of a population by maximizing the likelihood function. It is based on the principle that the most likely values of the parameters are those that make the observed data most probable.

2. How does a maximum likelihood estimator work?

A maximum likelihood estimator works by finding the values of the parameters that maximize the likelihood function, which is a function of the parameters and the observed data. This is done by taking the derivative of the likelihood function with respect to each parameter and setting it equal to zero. The resulting equations are then solved to find the optimal parameter values.

3. What are the advantages of using a maximum likelihood estimator?

One advantage of using a maximum likelihood estimator is that it is a very flexible method that can be applied to a wide range of statistical models. It also provides a good balance between bias and variance, making it a reliable estimator in most cases. Additionally, MLE has strong theoretical foundations and is widely used in many fields of science.

4. What are the limitations of maximum likelihood estimators?

One limitation of maximum likelihood estimators is that they can be sensitive to outliers in the data. This means that if there are extreme values in the data, the resulting estimates may be biased. MLE also requires certain assumptions to be met, such as the data being normally distributed, which may not always be the case.

5. How can maximum likelihood estimators be used in scientific research?

Maximum likelihood estimators can be used in scientific research to estimate the parameters of a population based on a sample of data. This can be useful in a variety of fields, such as biology, economics, and psychology, where researchers need to make inferences about a population based on a limited amount of data. MLE can also be used to compare different models and determine which one best fits the observed data.