1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum magnetic Force

1. Nov 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A wire of length L is placed in a magnetic field B,If the current in the wire is I,then maximum magnetic force on the wire is?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Honestly,I have no idea how to do this..(Im in class 9)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2012 #2
    You should have an equation that gives the magnetic force on a wire of some length with some current running through it.

4. Nov 15, 2012 #3
    what is the equation?

5. Nov 15, 2012 #4
    it should look something like F = BIL

do you recognize it?

6. Nov 15, 2012 #5
    Im sorry I am coming across this the first time... could u explain it please

7. Nov 15, 2012 #6
    You say you are in class 9, i doubt it that i was taught this when i was in class 9. Are you taking any tuition or something to learn this extra stuff?

And about the question, you should first refer some book to learn about the force on a current carrying wire in a magnetic field.

8. Nov 15, 2012 #7
    If this is a homework problem for school, then you certainly must have been shown this equation before. If it's not a homework problem, then I suggest doing what Pranav-Arora said and going and looking it up.

9. Nov 15, 2012 #8
    Yes i am in class 9, and yes i have been taking special tuition...

I have completed the class 9 syllabus of science and have completed class 10(physics&maths).
    I know all about Oersted,Flemings right hand,left hand,electromagnetic induction
    Moreover i have started training for the Indian National Physics Olympiad (INPhO) and Regional Mathematical Olympiad.

I encountered this problem in one of the sample papers of an IIT-JEE instituiton
    hence i was asking about it,and i have never seen or taught this equation ever,i tried looking up the net but found gibberish...
    So could you please explain or provide a suitable link?

10. Nov 15, 2012 #9
    Instead of completing everything in rush and directly trying to reach the JEE paper, better first complete your textbooks, i remember, there's a lot of stuff in them. Buy a good book rather than dwelling on net for the information. :smile:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  11. Nov 15, 2012 #10
    Force on a (current carrying conductor) this is the wire in your case, lying at right angle to a magnetic field can be given as:

F=BIl
    B=flux density, magnetic field in your case
    I= current
    l=length of the wire

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook