Maximum mass of a black hole

In summary: But the last time all the mass in the universe was at one point it spread out and did not form a black hole. Any thoughts?
dcheme7373
The question, "why didn't the emerging universe collapse into a black hole" has been answered in other forums. Though I am not sure I understand the reason. But it got me thinking. Is it particularly stupid to ponder whether a black hole has a maximum possible mass? Or rather a certain mass threshold for which exceeding it results in some other phenomena? I believe the current accepted assumption is that more mass will just create a larger black hole and theoretically if all the mass in the universe was in close proximity to a black hole then we would have a black hole equal in mass to the mass of the universe. But the last time all the mass in the universe was at one point it spread out and did not form a black hole. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, if the universe is infinite in extent then there is no such thing as "all the mass in the universe "

Second, I don't believe there is any known physics that limits the size of a black hole

dcheme7373 said:
But the last time all the mass in the universe was at one point it spread out and did not form a black hole. Any thoughts?
The moments following the Big Bang were not static. The matter that expanded from a small volume did not do so ballistically - as if shot out of a cannon. Spacetime itself expanded and carried the matter with it. (That's grossly simplistic. )

The key point is that this epoch of expansion is not constrained by the speed of light . It's believed that the expansion happened much faster than the speed of light* (not that the speed of light had much meaning during this epoch of time). *according to Wiki - in less then 10-32 seconds after the BB, its volume expanded by a factor of 1078 - i.e. from a molecule-sized up to about 10.6 light years - in 1 / 100 trillion trillionth of a second.

So, even if the matter were gravitationally attracted to clump together, it could not have done so faster than the universe was expanding.

Likes Lren Zvsm and hmmm27
dcheme7373 said:
The question, "why didn't the emerging universe collapse into a black hole" has been answered in other forums. Though I am not sure I understand the reason. But it got me thinking. Is it particularly stupid to ponder whether a black hole has a maximum possible mass? Or rather a certain mass threshold for which exceeding it results in some other phenomena? I believe the current accepted assumption is that more mass will just create a larger black hole and theoretically if all the mass in the universe was in close proximity to a black hole then we would have a black hole equal in mass to the mass of the universe. But the last time all the mass in the universe was at one point it spread out and did not form a black hole. Any thoughts?
The short answer is that a black hole forms when a star of at least the critical mass collapses. Note that the star is surrounded by a vacuum. The early universe was a (possibly infinite) region of almost uniform density. It wasn't surrounded by vacuum. These conditions are therefore very different. This question gets asks quite regularly. See here for a fuller answer:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/in-the-beginning-there-was-a-black-hole.984254/

Thank you for your responses. I think I understand now

phinds said:
Second, I don't believe there is any known physics that limits the size of a black hole
Neither do I.

1. What is the maximum mass a black hole can have?

The maximum mass of a black hole is known as the Schwarzschild limit, which is approximately 2.2 times the mass of the sun. This limit is also known as the Chandrasekhar limit, named after the scientist who first calculated it.

2. How is the maximum mass of a black hole determined?

The maximum mass of a black hole is determined by the amount of matter that can be contained within its event horizon, also known as the point of no return. This limit is based on the theory of general relativity and the properties of space-time.

3. Can a black hole exceed the maximum mass limit?

No, a black hole cannot exceed the maximum mass limit. Once a black hole reaches the Schwarzschild limit, any additional matter that is added to it will cause it to collapse and form a singularity, resulting in a larger black hole with the same maximum mass limit.

4. What happens if a black hole exceeds the maximum mass limit?

If a black hole exceeds the maximum mass limit, it will continue to collapse and form a singularity, which is a point of infinite density and zero volume. This is where the laws of physics, as we know them, break down.

5. Is there a relationship between the maximum mass of a black hole and its size?

Yes, there is a relationship between the maximum mass of a black hole and its size. The more massive a black hole is, the larger its event horizon will be. However, the size of a black hole is not solely determined by its mass, as other factors such as spin and charge also play a role.