Maximum number of possilities?

• Thread starter GENIERE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maximum
In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of possibilities and the maximum number of outcomes. The idea that there is always less than an infinite number of possibilities is explored, as well as the role of finite numbers and the potential for multiple universes with the same state.
GENIERE
My math is limited to that taken in an engineering curriculum many years ago.

I hope someone might help me on this:

A statement I'm not sure is correct, followed by a question I’m not sure is properly posed.

It must always be possible to add another imaginary coin to an imaginary pile. If one tosses this pile into the air there is a possibility that all coins will land “heads up”. It follows that there is always less than an infinite number of possibilities.

If above is true, is there some maximum number of all possible outcomes?

This question arises due to an article I read recently, wherein the author stated something like “in a given Hubbell volume…. 10^118 is the maximum number of possibilities”. I can’t recall where I read it, nor the exact statement.

Regards

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For coin tossing (assuming all coins are the same), when there are n coins, there are n+1 possibilities (no. heads from 0 to n). The probabilities are given by the binomial distribution.

If there are n different coins then the number of possibilities is 2n.

In either case, the number of possibilities is finite.

All integers (indeed all real numbers) are finite but there are an infinite number of them: in addition they have no upper bound.

As to “in a given Hubbell volume…. 10^118 is the maximum number of possibilities", I can't help you because I don't know what a Hubble volume is nor what "possibilities are being enumerated.

http://www.floatingplanet.net/planetp2/archives/000225.html is one of the few references I can find that may have some bearing.

I think he mean's Hubble Volume.

There was a Scientific American article regarding something of this sort (by Max Tegmark).

I think the point of the number of possibilities was that, if each Hubble volume contains fields that cannot escape from it (hence are confined and quantized) and if spacetime itself is quantized, then there is a countable number of configurations you can have for all the fields contained in a Hubble volume. Then, assuming that all Hubble volumes have a random selection of values for these fields, he computed the distance at which we would be able to find another universe (hubble volume) with the exact same state as ours.

Thanks for the responses!

Ahrkron - Yes that was the article I was trying to read while everyone was grabbing their luggage. I misread it and inferred 10^118 as a mathematical restraint on possibilities rather than a physical restraint.

It was bugging me ever since.

Regards

What is the maximum number of possibilities?

The maximum number of possibilities refers to the total number of different outcomes or combinations that can occur within a given scenario or problem. It is essentially the highest number of options that can exist within a specific set of parameters.

How is the maximum number of possibilities calculated?

The calculation of the maximum number of possibilities depends on the specific problem or scenario. In general, it involves identifying all the potential options or variables and determining the total number of combinations or outcomes that can occur when those variables are combined in different ways.

Why is the maximum number of possibilities important?

The maximum number of possibilities is important because it helps us understand the full scope and potential of a problem or scenario. By identifying all the possible outcomes, we can better analyze and evaluate the best course of action or solution.

Can the maximum number of possibilities ever be reached?

In theory, the maximum number of possibilities can be reached, but it is often not practical or feasible to do so. In most cases, we can only explore a fraction of the total possibilities due to time, resources, and other constraints.

How can we increase the maximum number of possibilities?

The maximum number of possibilities can be increased by expanding the variables or factors involved in a problem or scenario. This can be achieved through brainstorming, research, and experimentation to identify new options and combinations.