Maximum of Chi-square RV's

• Thread starter m26k9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maximum
In summary: Yes, the PDF and CDF in the first equation must be of a Chi-square random variable. To elaborate, suppose that we have n independent and identically distributed Chi-square random variables: X_1,\,X_2,\ldots,\,X_n with f_X(x) and F_X(x) as the PDF and CDF, respectively. Arrange them in ascending order as: X_{(1)}\leq X_{(2)}\leq X_{(3)} \leq \cdots\leq X_{(n)}. Then the PDF of X_{(n)} (the maximum RV) is:f_{X
m26k9
Hello,
I am trying to find the distribution of the maximum of a set of independed Chi-square RV's with 2-degrees of freedom. Actually I only want to find the MEAN value.
I am using the following formula to find the PDF.

[tex]f_{X_{\mathsf{max}}}(x) = NF_X(x)^{N-1}f_X(x)[/tex]

Following PDF and CDF is used:
[tex]f_X(x)=\frac{1}{2}e^{-\frac{x}{2}}[/tex]
[tex]F_X(x) = 1-e^{-\frac{x}{2}}[/tex]

So what I want to find is: (Assuming N variables)
[tex]E[f_{X_{MAX}}(x)] =N \int_0^R xF_X(x)^{N-1}f_X(x)[/tex]

I am stuck in a neverending integration by-parts.
If anybody know any solution to this or any method to find this, please let me know.

Cheer.s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
m26k9 said:

Did you mean to say [tex]E[X_{MAX}][/tex].

Mathematica gives the answer 2*HarmonicNumber[n] but I'm not sure how to derive it.

bpet said:
Did you mean to say [tex]E[X_{MAX}][/tex].

Mathematica gives the answer 2*HarmonicNumber[n] but I'm not sure how to derive it.
Thank you bpet.
Yes I want to find [tex]E[X_{MAX}][/tex]. Sorry for the mistake.
I will search for Harmonicanumber. Havent heard of it before.

Cheers.

m26k9 said:
Hello,
I am trying to find the distribution of the maximum of a set of independed Chi-square RV's with 2-degrees of freedom. Actually I only want to find the MEAN value.
I am using the following formula to find the PDF.

[tex]f_{X_{\mathsf{max}}}(x) = NF_X(x)^{N-1}f_X(x)[/tex]

Following PDF and CDF is used:
[tex]f_X(x)=\frac{1}{2}e^{-\frac{x}{2}}[/tex]
[tex]F_X(x) = 1-e^{-\frac{x}{2}}[/tex]

I am stuck in a neverending integration by-parts.
If anybody know any solution to this or any method to find this, please let me know.

Cheer.s

You need to calculate the mean of the maximum of independent Chi-square RVs, is it right? So:

[tex]E_{X^*}[X]=\,\int_0^{\infty}x\,f_{X^*}(x)\,dx[/tex]

where [tex]f_{X^*}(x)[/tex] is the first equation you wrote, but the PDF and CDF must be of Chi-square not of exponentials. Then substiute these data into the integration and evaluate the integral.

S_David said:
You need to calculate the mean of the maximum of independent Chi-square RVs, is it right? So:

[tex]E_{X^*}[X]=\,\int_0^{\infty}x\,f_{X^*}(x)\,dx[/tex]

where [tex]f_{X^*}(x)[/tex] is the first equation you wrote, but the PDF and CDF must be of Chi-square not of exponentials. Then substiute these data into the integration and evaluate the integral.

Thank you very much David.
I'm not sure what you meant by but the PDF and CDF must be of Chi-square not of exponentials?

Because of the exponentials I could not find a closed-from expression there is a pattern and I could find a recursive solution. Could you please explain a bit what you meant earlier?

Cheers.

I mean the PDF and CDF in the first equation must be of a Chi-square random variable. To elaborate, suppose that we have n independent and identically distributed Chi-square random variables: [tex]X_1,\,X_2,\ldots,\,X_n[/tex] with [tex]f_X(x)[/tex] and [tex]F_X(x)[/tex] as the PDF and CDF, respectively. Arrange them in ascending order as: [tex]X_{(1)}\leq X_{(2)}\leq X_{(3)} \leq \cdots\leq X_{(n)}[/tex]. Then the PDF of [tex]X_{(n)}[/tex] (the maximum RV) is:

[tex]f_{X_{(n)}}(x)=\,n\left[F_X(x)]^{n-1}\,f_X(x)[/tex]

You can find the distributions of a Chi-square RV from any probability book.

S_David said:

m26k9's expression for the distribution is correct.

S_David said:
I mean the PDF and CDF in the first equation must be of a Chi-square random variable. To elaborate, suppose that we have n independent and identically distributed Chi-square random variables: [tex]X_1,\,X_2,\ldots,\,X_n[/tex] with [tex]f_X(x)[/tex] and [tex]F_X(x)[/tex] as the PDF and CDF, respectively. Arrange them in ascending order as: [tex]X_{(1)}\leq X_{(2)}\leq X_{(3)} \leq \cdots\leq X_{(n)}[/tex]. Then the PDF of [tex]X_{(n)}[/tex] (the maximum RV) is:

[tex]f_{X_{(n)}}(x)=\,n\left[F_X(x)]^{n-1}\,f_X(x)[/tex]

Thank you very much David and Bpet.

The problem I had was to evaluate the integral and was thinking if there is a commonly known closed-form expression for [tex]f_{X_{(n)}}(x)[/tex]. I guess I have to do with the recursive one.

Thank you again guys.

Yes, bpet is right, I am sorry, where Chi-square distributions with two degrees of freedom become as m26k9 wrote with the assumption that the variance is unity. So, the PDF of the maximum RV becomes:

[tex]f_{X_{(n)}}(x)=\,n\left[F_X(x)\right]^{n-1}\,f_X(x)=\,\frac{n}{2}\left[1-\text{e}^{-x/2}\right]^{n-1}\,\text{e}^{-x/2}[/tex].

Where using binomial expansion:

[tex]\left[1-\text{e}^{-x/2}\right]^{n-1}=\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}(-1)^k{n-1\choose k}\text{e}^{-kx/2}[/tex]

After simple manipulation, use the table of integral to solve the resulting integral.

Good luck

1. What is a Chi-square random variable?

A Chi-square random variable is a type of probability distribution that is used to model the sum of squares of independent standard normal random variables. It is often used in statistical analyses to determine the significance of relationships between categorical variables.

2. What is the maximum of Chi-square RV's?

The maximum of Chi-square RV's refers to the largest possible value that can be obtained from a set of Chi-square random variables. It is typically used in hypothesis testing to determine the critical value for rejecting the null hypothesis.

3. How is the maximum of Chi-square RV's calculated?

The maximum of Chi-square RV's is calculated by finding the largest value from a set of Chi-square random variables. This can be done by finding the critical value from a Chi-square table or by using a statistical software program.

4. What is the significance of the maximum of Chi-square RV's in hypothesis testing?

The maximum of Chi-square RV's is an important factor in hypothesis testing as it helps determine the critical value for rejecting the null hypothesis. If the calculated Chi-square value is larger than the maximum of Chi-square RV's, it is considered statistically significant and the null hypothesis can be rejected.

5. Are there any limitations to using the maximum of Chi-square RV's in hypothesis testing?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the maximum of Chi-square RV's in hypothesis testing. It assumes that the data follows a Chi-square distribution, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it does not take into account the sample size or the number of variables being compared, which can affect the results.