What is the Probability of the Maximum Value for Discrete Random Variables?

• Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maximum
In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of the maximum value of a random variable with discrete values, given that all values have the same probability. It is determined that the probability is 1/L, where L is the number of values. The conversation then delves into the concept of uniform distribution and its relation to probability density functions. It is clarified that the PDF can be found by differentiating the CDF, but for discrete variables, the sigma sign is used instead of the integral. The conversation concludes with the individual solving the problem at hand.
EngWiPy
Hi,

Suppose we have a random variable X takes on disctere values xi, i=1,2,...,L. What is the probability of the maximum value?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the probability (Prob(X=L)). If all the probabilities are the same then it is 1/L.

mathman said:
It depends on the probability (Prob(X=L)). If all the probabilities are the same then it is 1/L.

Yes, all RVs are equiprobable. But how you got the answer, please?

S_David said:
Yes, all RVs are equiprobable. But how you got the answer, please?

A Random Variable (discrete or continuous) as a distribution, which basically says how much "weight" each element gets that is related to its frequency of occurring.

If every element in the distribution has the same chance of occurring as every other element, then its known as a uniform distribution. So if you had say "L" blocks with equal probability, then as the above posted has stated, the probability will be 1/L.

Why is this? Well probability density functions must have the property that the sum of all probabilities is equal to 1 (if it is continuous then the sum will turn into an integral).

So we know that Sum of all probabilities = 1. There are L blocks with the same probability so basically we have L * a = 1 where a is the probability of one "block". Re-arranging we get a = 1/L.

let me clarify my question: suppose we have M RVs say x1,x2,...x_M. Let y=max{x_m}, m=1,2,...,M, then what is the p.m.f of y, given that the RVs are uniformly distributed. I hope this is clear now.

Thanks

For simplicity I'll assume the random variables are uniform between 0 and 1, so that P(x_m < u) = u for 0<u<1.
Your question is about P(max(x_m) < u) = P(x_1 < u and x_2 < u and...x_M <u).
Since the x_m are independent, P(max(x_m) < u) = P(x_1 < u)*...*P(x_M < u)=uM.

mathman said:
For simplicity I'll assume the random variables are uniform between 0 and 1, so that P(x_m < u) = u for 0<u<1.
Your question is about P(max(x_m) < u) = P(x_1 < u and x_2 < u and...x_M <u).
Since the x_m are independent, P(max(x_m) < u) = P(x_1 < u)*...*P(x_M < u)=uM.

Now we are going somewhere. You found the CDF, how to find the p.m.f?

S_David said:
Now we are going somewhere. You found the CDF, how to find the p.m.f?

To get the PDF from the CDF you differentiate.

chiro said:
To get the PDF from the CDF you differentiate.

But the CDF is not differentiable, because it is discrete. I know that p(X=xi)=F(xi)-F(xi-1), but how to apply that here?

S_David said:
But the CDF is not differentiable, because it is discrete. I know that p(X=xi)=F(xi)-F(xi-1), but how to apply that here?

For the distribution that math-man presented, the PDF was continuous.

Note to S. David. You need to clarify as plainly as possible what the distribution is for your original random variables. Is it discrete? When you said uniform, I assumed the standard meaning which has a density function which is constant over some finite interval, usually [0,1].

mathman said:
Note to S. David. You need to clarify as plainly as possible what the distribution is for your original random variables. Is it discrete? When you said uniform, I assumed the standard meaning which has a density function which is constant over some finite interval, usually [0,1].

It is discrete not continuous.

S_David are you familiar with order statistics?

chiro said:
S_David are you familiar with order statistics?

I know some. I mean for continuous random variables, I have no problem. For example, let [tex]X_1,X_2,\ldots,X_M[/tex] be M i.i.d RVs. Let [tex]Y=\underset{l}{max}\{Xl\}[/tex]. Then:
[tex]F_Y(y)=\left[F_X(y)\right]^M[/tex]
and the PDF is just the differentiation of it. But what is the counterpart in discrete RVs, and to deal with them?

Thanks

The difference is that instead of an integral you replace it with a sigma sign over the domain of the RV (ie the CDF of the RV). Get rid of the sigma and you basically have your pdf for a given index.

chiro said:
The difference is that instead of an integral you replace it with a sigma sign over the domain of the RV (ie the CDF of the RV). Get rid of the sigma and you basically have your pdf for a given index.

Ok I solved the problem. Thank you all

1. What is a discrete random variable?

A discrete random variable is a variable that can only take on a finite or countably infinite number of distinct values. These values are usually represented by whole numbers, and are often the result of counting or measuring a specific event or outcome.

2. How is the maximum of discrete random variables calculated?

The maximum of discrete random variables is calculated by finding the largest value among a set of discrete random variables. This can be done by listing out all the possible outcomes and choosing the largest value, or by using a mathematical formula such as the maximum likelihood estimator.

3. What is the significance of the maximum of discrete random variables?

The maximum of discrete random variables can provide important information about the distribution of the variables. It can also be used to make predictions about future outcomes based on past data.

4. Can the maximum of discrete random variables be negative?

No, the maximum of discrete random variables cannot be negative. This is because discrete random variables can only take on non-negative values, and the maximum value can only be as large as the largest value in the set of variables.

5. How is the maximum of discrete random variables related to other statistical measures?

The maximum of discrete random variables is related to other statistical measures such as the mean, median, and mode. In some cases, the maximum value may be the same as the mean or median, but this is not always the case. The maximum can also provide information about the spread or variability of the data, similar to measures like variance or standard deviation.