Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum partial sum of sequance of random variables

1. Jul 27, 2010 #1
    Hi friends/colleagues,

Let X1, X2, ..., Xn be a sequence of independent, but NOT identically distributed random variables, with E(Xi)=0, and variance of each Xi being UNEQUAL but finite.

Let S be the vector of partial sum of Xs: Si=X1+X2+...+Xi.

Question: What is the limiting distribution of Maxi(Si), the maximum partial sum of X? By limiting distribution I mean as n grows to infinity.

I can also formulate this question slightly differently: is the limiting distribution of
    partial sum of X a Brownian movement process? In that case the maximum partial sum is maximum distance of Brownian motions from its origin which has a closed formula.

If this question does not have answer with this assumptions, I need to know what additional assumptions I need to make.

Just in case, one more condition in this problem is that the variance function of X is a 'smooth' function in that If if Xi -> Xj then Var(Xi)->Var(Xj).

Your help is much appreciated.
    Mohsen Sadatsafavi.
    Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Evaluation
    University of British Columbia

mohsen dot safavi at gmail dot com
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted