1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum particle position

1. Sep 4, 2003 #1
    I don't believe that this problem is difficult, but I am unsure of myself as to the answers.

The position of the particle moving along an x axis depends on the time according to: x = ct^2 - bt^3 (x in meters and t in seconds)

a) what units must c and b have? Let their numberical values be 3.0 and 2.0, respectively. b) At what time does the particle reach its maximum positive x position?

This is what I did:

a) m - cs^2 - bs^3 --> ms^2/2^2 - ms^3/s^3 = m - m = __ m

so, c = m/s^2 and b = m/s^3

b) x = ct^2 - bt^3

i am imagining the particle to be something like a ball thrown in the air. is this a good idea?

with that in mind, i would imagine the velocity of the ball at the max point would be 0, so:

v = x' = 6.0t - 6.0t^2 = 0 --> t=1 or t = 0

i am ruling out t = 0, because that is the starting time so i believe that the time it reaches it's max position is at 1.0 seconds.

was my process for a and b correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the units of b and c must be such that the "sec" cancel, leaving meters. The power on the s must be exactly the power on t
    c is in "m/s^2" and b is in "m/s^3". (You do have a typo: you meant
    ms^2/t^2 where you wrote "ms^2/2^2".)

Since x= ct^2+ bt^3 so x'= 2ct+ 3bt^2. As this is a physics problem, you can think "at max or min position the speed must be 0". A math major would be more inclined to think "at max or min, the derivative is 0".

Looks to might like you have it exactly right.

4. Sep 4, 2003 #3
    Hi missrikku,
    I think your answer to a) is correct.
    As for b): No values of b, c are given in the problem, so you should keep them as unknowns (not plug in values). Your approach of x' = 0 is IMO OK. It will give you 2 answers of t(c,b). Please check out x''(t) for your answers. If the 2nd derivative is negative, then you have found a maximum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?