What Units Must Coefficients Have for Maximum Particle Position Calculation?

In summary, The position of a particle moving along an x-axis can be represented by the equation x = ct^2 - bt^3 (x in meters and t in seconds). In order for the equation to be correct, the units for c and b must be m/s^2 and m/s^3, respectively. To find the time at which the particle reaches its maximum positive x position, we can use the fact that at a maximum or minimum position, the derivative is 0. Setting x' = 0, we get 2ct + 3bt^2 = 0. Solving for t, we get 2 possible answers. To determine which one is the correct time, we can take the second derivative of
missrikku
I don't believe that this problem is difficult, but I am unsure of myself as to the answers.

The position of the particle moving along an x-axis depends on the time according to: x = ct^2 - bt^3 (x in meters and t in seconds)

a) what units must c and b have? Let their numberical values be 3.0 and 2.0, respectively. b) At what time does the particle reach its maximum positive x position?

This is what I did:

a) m - cs^2 - bs^3 --> ms^2/2^2 - ms^3/s^3 = m - m = __ m

so, c = m/s^2 and b = m/s^3

b) x = ct^2 - bt^3

i am imagining the particle to be something like a ball thrown in the air. is this a good idea?

with that in mind, i would imagine the velocity of the ball at the max point would be 0, so:

v = x' = 6.0t - 6.0t^2 = 0 --> t=1 or t = 0

i am ruling out t = 0, because that is the starting time so i believe that the time it reaches it's max position is at 1.0 seconds.

was my process for a and b correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the units of b and c must be such that the "sec" cancel, leaving meters. The power on the s must be exactly the power on t
c is in "m/s^2" and b is in "m/s^3". (You do have a typo: you meant
ms^2/t^2 where you wrote "ms^2/2^2".)

Since x= ct^2+ bt^3 so x'= 2ct+ 3bt^2. As this is a physics problem, you can think "at max or min position the speed must be 0". A math major would be more inclined to think "at max or min, the derivative is 0".

Looks to might like you have it exactly right.

Hi missrikku,
I think your answer to a) is correct.
As for b): No values of b, c are given in the problem, so you should keep them as unknowns (not plug in values). Your approach of x' = 0 is IMO OK. It will give you 2 answers of t(c,b). Please check out x''(t) for your answers. If the 2nd derivative is negative, then you have found a maximum.

What is "maximum particle position"?

"Maximum particle position" refers to the farthest distance that a particle can travel in a given system or environment. It is often used in physics and chemistry to describe the limit of a particle's motion or trajectory.

How is the maximum particle position calculated?

The calculation of maximum particle position depends on a number of factors, including the initial velocity and acceleration of the particle, as well as any external forces acting on it. It can be determined using mathematical equations and simulations or through experimental measurements.

What is the significance of maximum particle position in scientific research?

The concept of maximum particle position is important in understanding the behavior and limitations of particles in different systems. It can help scientists predict the motion and interactions of particles, as well as analyze the effects of external forces and conditions on their movement.

Does maximum particle position have any practical applications?

Yes, maximum particle position has various practical applications in fields such as fluid dynamics, material science, and biophysics. It can be used to design and optimize devices and processes, as well as to study the behavior of particles in natural systems.

How does maximum particle position relate to other concepts such as minimum distance and equilibrium position?

Maximum particle position is closely related to the concepts of minimum distance and equilibrium position. The minimum distance refers to the closest distance that a particle can reach in a system, while the equilibrium position is the stable position where the forces acting on a particle are balanced. These concepts are all interconnected and play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in a given system.