Max Photon Energy: Limit & Most Observed

In summary: The solar wind is a stream of charged particles (mostly protons) that constantly flow out of the sun. It's incredibly energetic, and even a tiny fraction of it would be enough to power the world.3) It's theoretically possible to collect all of the solar radiation that comes our way, but it would be a extremely expensive and difficult process.4) There have been attempts to build these kinds of collectors, but they've been largely unsuccessful.
BobiG
Is there a limit on how much energy a single photon can carry? What is the most ever observed (detected(measured))?

Science news on Phys.org
I can't imagine there being an upper limit to the energy, In fact I'm positive. As for the highest energy photon ever observed, I know a cosmic ray was once detected that had the energy of a baseball traveling at 100 mph (which is insane, btw), but I can't remember if that was a photon or not, I'll edit this if I can find my source.

Vorde said:
I can't imagine there being an upper limit to the energy, In fact I'm positive. As for the highest energy photon ever observed, I know a cosmic ray was once detected that had the energy of a baseball traveling at 100 mph (which is insane, btw), but I can't remember if that was a photon or not, I'll edit this if I can find my source.

Cosmic rays are charged particles. The 'baseball' example I believe was a proton.
Gamma rays are any photon above a certain energy.
Any we see from space would generally have been rather more energetic at source.

Vorde said:

I know there was a proton detected once that had the energy of a baseball moving at 55mph i believe but protons have mass you can accelerate them indefinitely and you'd be increasing the energy of it (you can't do that to a photon). My question really involves much higher energies, like a photon carrying the energy of a large asteroid for example (way way above the gamma ray energies). What would cause a photon to have such a crazy energy? Would blue shifting it work?

Not feasibly, something like that (energy of an asteroid) isn't physically realistic, and of we are talking purely theoretically I know there are limits on the amount of energy you can force into a single point, but I don't know the details enough to expand on that.

Vorde said:
Not feasibly, something like that (energy of an asteroid) isn't physically realistic, and of we are talking purely theoretically I know there are limits on the amount of energy you can force into a single point, but I don't know the details enough to expand on that.

I thought there was no limit on how much energy you can have in a single point, didn't the universe start from a singularity, aren't black holes singularities too?

BobiG said:
I thought there was no limit on how much energy you can have in a single point, didn't the universe start from a singularity, aren't black holes singularities too?

Disregard my latter comment, I was following up on an article I read but upon further research I discovered they sort of hand-wavingly said what they said without telling the reader that they skipped over important details. There is no upper limit to photon energy.

Good time to all :)
I'm not a physicist, I am a chemical engineer but I like to complicate my life. I have a natural facility to find correlations between things but sometimes takes me long.
I hope someone can help me with the following questions:
We all know that we get from the sun huge amounts of energy.
1. Why built solar panels to capture and use a small fraction of the energy from the sun?
As far as my knowledge reach, the solar panels only work with photons.
2. Why not make panels that can collect and use all the solar wind?
3. Is possible to collect all the radiation that comes from the sun in a disorderly way and rectify (as is done with laser light) all the energy for our everyday use?
I know that getting energy from nowhere is not possible because this violates the second law. But, it is possible to collect the energy from the high energy oval belt that circles the Earth at 8 cicles / second.
4. Why no one have been manufactured these energy collectors?

Thanks, Ivan Castilla

Well:

1) Because that's all our current technology can do right now. If you think about it, the sun radiates in every wavelength, and a 100% efficient solar panel would have to be able to convert photons of an arbitrary wavelength into electricity, which our panels cannot do. So we focus on specific areas of light and expand from there, theoretically I see no reason for not being able to have a 100% solar panel, but we haven't gotten there yet.

2) I don't really have an answer to the question, but off the top of my head I can't think of a way to easily harness the energy contained in other radiative particles.

3) Not quite sure what you mean.

4) Because our technology hasn't gotten to a point yet where we can either build or simply design the required technology.

Ok... technology is not ready in all cases, thank you.

1. What is the maximum energy that a photon can have?

The maximum energy that a photon can have is determined by its frequency, which is directly proportional to its energy according to the equation E = hf, where h is Planck's constant and f is the frequency of the photon. Therefore, the maximum energy of a photon is theoretically infinite, as there is no limit to the frequency of electromagnetic radiation. However, in practical terms, the maximum photon energy observed is around 1020 electron volts (eV) in high-energy cosmic rays.

2. What is the significance of the maximum photon energy?

The maximum photon energy is significant because it represents the upper limit of the energy that can be emitted or absorbed by a single photon. It also plays a crucial role in various phenomena such as the photoelectric effect, where photons with energy greater than the work function of a material can liberate electrons from its surface.

3. Is there a limit to the energy of photons in different wavelengths?

Yes, there is a limit to the energy of photons in different wavelengths. This is because the frequency of a photon is inversely proportional to its wavelength, according to the equation f = c/λ, where c is the speed of light and λ is the wavelength. Therefore, as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and so does the maximum energy that can be carried by the photon.

4. What is the most observed energy of photons in the universe?

The most observed energy of photons in the universe is in the range of visible light, with a wavelength of about 400-700 nanometers. This is because our eyes are most sensitive to this range of wavelengths, and most of the light emitted by celestial bodies falls within this range. However, the most energetic photons observed in the universe are in the form of gamma rays, with energies in the range of millions to billions of electron volts.

5. How does the maximum energy of photons relate to the speed of light?

The maximum energy of photons is directly related to the speed of light. According to Einstein's famous equation E = mc2, energy and mass are equivalent, and the speed of light is the maximum velocity at which matter and energy can travel. Since photons are massless particles, they can travel at the speed of light, making their energy directly proportional to the speed of light.